More rock question

leopard_babe

My tank has been cycling for about a week. I think I want to add more live rock to my tank. Can I do this while the tank is cycling??? Or will that mess my cycle up?

longx412

Yes you can. One way to cycle your tank is putting in Live rock. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Good luck!!

bdhough

You can add rock. BUT you may prolong the cycle. It's best to get alot of initial rock and structure in the tank first. THEN add fish after all your parameters are settled down. Just keep in mind every piece of rock you add has the potential to throw off your water. I recommend the smell test. If the rock smells like its rotted at all don't buy the piece. SO moral of the story yes add rock now and get it out of the way.

leopard_babe

Thanks alot! I will check it out. I look at everyone elses tanks and see all the beautiful rockwork, and now I want more. Thanks for the advise.

bdhough

My brother has a 46 bow with about 70lbs of rock in it i think....
My 12 has about 20lbs and my 20 about 25 but can have more....

leopard_babe

I have a 46 bow. i have 20 something lbs of rock. I want to eventually have a spotted mandarin, and I know that they need lots of rock. I know that they eat the pods. So I thought that I would add more rock. Now that I have sme more money. I just didn't know if it ws okay to add it yet.

bdhough

Well add ALOT of rock. The more the better for them. They are a hard fish to keep healthy for a long time. They will usually eat up their food source after a while. With a tank so small..... It's recommended they only be kept in a 120 or bigger. The key with one is to get it to eat other things ie frozen food. I've seen them eat live brine if you can find a source of that and blackworms. Just make sure they eat before you buy one.

birdy

I have a 46bowfront, I have 90lbs of LR in it, and I still don't think it is enough for a mandarin, I also have an above tank fuge for macro and pod populations. If you absolutely have to have a mandarin, I would really urge you to get a lot of rock and a large fuge for pod populations and wait a year to get a mandrin (6 months at the VERY earliest).

tony detroit

I wouldn't get a mandarin for at least six months, and that is after adding a buncha live rock.
Adding uncured live rock will give you a better cycle if you do it now in the beginning stage