More Rock

I want to add more LR to my tank, do I have to do anything special to the LR from the LFS? Or can I just add it in the tank? Is it safer to just use base rock? and if so, how long does it take to turn into LR?

tank a holic

as long as it's cured live rock you're fine IMO
I usually add it during a WC, put the old water in a bucket and shake the new LR in it and get all the detris and gunk off it then just pop it in the DT
as for base rock, I would have added it first because LR looks better IMO
It doesn't really take long to seed base rock with bacteria but as far as making it "live rock" with coraline and all the little organisms it can happen rapidly or it may never "live"

oh ok. Will I have die off transporting it from the LFS to my house (15 min. drive) if it is cured? Will it cause an ammonia or nitrate spike??

big

Originally Posted by ivycharlaine
http:///forum/post/3119151
oh ok. Will I have die off transporting it from the LFS to my house (15 min. drive) if it is cured? Will it cause an ammonia or nitrate spike??
The above tips all are good.
Transport it in water in a cooler keeping it totally wet and close as possible to the same temperature to prevent any die off .
I have added live rock a number of times over the years with no problems.

Just be sure the rock you are getting is totally cured first.......Good Luck... Warren

crypt keeper

You will have no die off. I added rock to my tank as the weeks went by. I had a 30 minute trip. You will be fine.