more than 1 puffer in a tank???

jmg

well the LFS has a blue spotter hawaiin puffer, a long nosed puffer (not sure if thats what its called), and a valentini all in the same tank. they all interest me, but i was wonderin if they really should all be in the same tank? so far they seem to care less about each other, but in a smaller tank, im afraid they may be more territorial

djw1705

If youre planning on adding three puffers in a 20 gallon tank, then there is no way. Even one puffer in a 20 gallon tank is not suitable. Puffers love swimming room, and they grow very fast. The only reason why you saw three puffers in the same tank at your LFS is because most fish stores get a huge stock of fish every so often, and they can add fish together in the same tank, even if it is small because the fish is still stunned and unaware of its new home. Plus, fish sell within days of receiving, so the tank is temporary. My suggestion is to hold off on any type of puffer until you get a larger aquarium. :yes:

jmg

alright, but actually all puffers ive ever seen (even ones that have been in tanks for ever) have just kind swam slowly up and down and across... and the ones im looking at grow to top sizes of like 3-4"...
which i understand will be big to have 3, which is why i was mainly interested in the valentini... just wanted to get opinions

jmg

everybook ive read said 20 gallon.. where did you read 30? hopefully a lady i know still has her old tank and will give it to me, but if not, oh well ill make this one work