More then 1 Anemone per tank?

serpentar

I currently have a well established 50 gallon reef tank with a sebae anemone in it. Would it be possible to add a bubble tip to my tank? i have heard that more then 1 anemone per tank & they will wage war until one is dead, but i have also heard that it is okay as long as they are on opposite sides in a big tank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

T

thomas712

This is something that I simply do not recommend, the odds of them finding each other and waging war are simply to great. One or both could die because of it. I'm not saying some people do not get away with it, I am saying that it could simply be a recipe for disaster that you could avoid.
Thomas

shelley

Sorry...I don't know much about carpets, but I would have to agree with Thomas. The outcome of something happening my understanding is that if one dies, you whole tank becomes toxic and you will lose all corals and fish. They're beautiful, but I got rid of mine and sleep better at night!

T

thomas712

One of one species only, most carpets are very strong light requiring and can out grow even 55 gallon tanks.
Thomas

ice4ice

Originally Posted by Thomas712
This is something that I simply do not recommend, the odds of them finding each other and waging war are simply to great. One or both could die because of it. I'm not saying some people do not get away with it, I am saying that it could simply be a recipe for disaster that you could avoid.
Thomas

Whoops forgot about that possibilty with 2 different anemones. My bad ...
But 2 of same species can be done correct ?

shelley

OMG, Thomas! Are you kidding?? That is one that I really like but didn't realize it was an anemone! Glad you told me! Like I said, I love anemones, but not in my tank!

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
Whoops forgot about that possibilty with 2 different anemones. My bad ...
But 2 of same species can be done correct ?
In the case of the bubble tip yes, I personally have not tried two of other species.

barchtruong

well, I have 2 Flower anemones and a LTA and they seem to do just fine in a 55's.
My Flower anemones are not going anywhere. They are like glued on rock.
My LTA floated by my Flower anemone one time, but everything's still ok.

T

thomas712

Ah the rock/flower anemone, I had one that pretty well stayed in one spot, I don't recall that my BTA's ever touched it.

maelv

Boss and I were talking and I was wondering, will an anenome sting a coral or vice versa?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by maelv
Boss and I were talking and I was wondering, will an anenome sting a coral or vice versa?
Such events are entirely possible yes, by using there nematocysts.

maelv

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Such events are entirely possible yes, by using there nematocysts.
But not common? In most cases is it safe to keep an anenome in a reef tank?

barchtruong

Originally Posted by maelv
But not common? In most cases is it safe to keep an anenome in a reef tank?
most anemones are not reef safe.
Except RBTA and BTA are, I think,
Generally speaking, having any anemones in a reef tank is a high risk that reefers take.
Unless you know darn sure the future anem. is going to stay exactly where you want them to be in the reef tank, you should not have one floating around the reef tank.
I place my LTA at the end of the flow in my tank so it's just moving back and forth at just that one corner cuz it can't move up current. I am playing safe on a 30+corals reef tank.

maelv

Thanks for the information barchtruong. I don't really want an anenome in my tank. My boss is tossing around the idea, and I thought I would ask.

jeffy1833

Are you kidding, I have a pink tip Haitian that just recently split, 3 curly Q's, a rock and a little bta in a 30 gal reef tank. I have 195w PC's and they're doing fine(this site list most anemoes as reef safe) I just fragged my hammer, frogspawn and pulsing xenia corals and I'm fragging my pom poms this weekend.

skipperdz

id keep one per tank regardless. anenomes dont stay where u want them...they stay where they want to. carpet would eat it if it came near it. if u want a different anenome trade yours out for a new one...but if you have clowns you may stress them out

barchtruong

Originally Posted by jeffy1833
Are you kidding, I have a pink tip Haitian that just recently split, 3 curly Q's, a rock and a little bta in a 30 gal reef tank. I have 195w PC's and they're doing fine(this site list most anemoes as reef safe) I just fragged my hammer, frogspawn and pulsing xenia corals and I'm fragging my pom poms this weekend.
Sounds like you have an anemone tank more than a reef tank.
wisdom words are out there.
it's up to you to take it or break it.
at the end of the day, you are responsible for your own investment and efforts that you put in your tank.