most likely a dumb question but..

Are carpet anemones really reef safe? I mean All I ever hear in the community is how their Carpet anemone gobbled up their fish, time, after time, after time. It seems they get HUGE and will eat even 4-5 inch long fish.
I really love the way the anemone looks but dang, is it worth it, or is it just something that happens on occasion and when it does they post it on here and thats just all you see?
I am curious to hear from some people that have large carpet anemones and what their take on them is, as well as the species.
Thank you in advance, I am sure there are a lot of you out there who can provide some good strait forward information

Korbin

michaeltx

anemones are not generally reef safe for one main reason they can and do move stinging things along the way.
as far as carpets eating fish ABSOLUTELY the can do and will eat fish even large fish like tangs can get cought by them. I have seen one eat a yellow tang before. I dont recomend one of these guys but to someone with a very large tank so there is room to stay away from the anemone.
carpets can and do also eat clowns that are hosting in them.
I personally will never have one of these guys in one of my systems.
Mike

I never really thought that any anemone is reef safe but All I ever see about anemones now days is how their carpet anemone ate one of their fish in their reef tanks.
I had that fear about the particular species and won't even try one. Kind of like a sea apple,...not worth the risk.
thanks for the info mike, 'preciate it.
Korbin

perfectdark

Im with Mike on this... I love anemones, some of the best colors can be found in carpets too. But they are the most aggressive species of anemones and are responsible for more fish deaths than any other species of anemone out there. And the can get enourmous...

spanko

If you really wnat one how about a bio-tope investigation on the areas of the reef they inhabit and build a tank around it? This would of course mean that you would be taking a chance with any fish you put in the tank but if you are really interested in this beautiful creature maybe a tank centered around it is in your future.
Here are some great pics of them........
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2
And here a little info from Fenner
Carpet Anemones in Captive Systems
by Bob Fenner
Stichodactyla mertensii
The Carpet Anemones are named for their immense size (sometimes more than a meter/yard across) and "pile" of numerous colored tentacles. These are unfortunately very difficult aquarium specimens that "shed", otherwise can/do sting and poison tankmates. Unless you have a HUGE system (hundreds plus gallons of water) and/or a substantial sized system to dedicate to just this one animal (plus possibly host fishes), you are advised to look elsewhere for an anemone species.
Of the three species of Carpets that are commensal/symbiotic with Clowns (and the Three-spot Damsel), only H. mertensii has good potential for being kept in a "mixed reef" setting... the other two species are found anchored in sand... with no other Cnidarians w/in physical or easy-chemical reach.

spanko

And here again from Fenner on the system to keep them in.
Systems:
Habitat, as per above... S. gigantea may be the most suitable of the carpets... being found often in very shallow water in the sand... sometimes exposed at low tide! It also is the most common species found amongst corals. S. gigantea Pedal discs attached to solid object. S. mertensii lives attached to hard substrate.S. haddoni, lives in deeper areas, cleaner sand. How much sand for a Haddon's? A good four inches plus of fine coral sand is about right.
How large a system will do? NOTHING under a few hundred gallons... As usual, the bigger the better... For expansion, growth, placing other life, aquascaping... Diluting wastes...
How much circulation is advised? Something short of ripping the animals off the rock, but complete and vigorous, non-linear... 20-30-40 times turnover is getting there. And one more time: ALL intakes must be thoroughly screened to protect against damaging your potentially roaming anemone...
Water quality? The best you can render... Oversized skimming, use of an ozonizer (with a desiccator if you can...)... Frequent partial water changes, a dearth of "additives"... testing for whatever you add of course. Any/all such supplements should be added to change and/or make-up water and thoroughly dissolved in the stored water ahead of use.
It cannot be re-stated enough times that the behavior of your livestock is the best indication of the suitability of its environment. KEEP your eye on your Anemone... IF it is shrinking down, everting its mouth, moving about... SOMETHING is amiss... perhaps your water quality is on a slide, maybe your lighting/lamps are getting old... ACT!

fishygurl

ive heard tube anemones can catch slow moving inverts/fish with their tentacles but again thats just what ive heard and idk if its true maybe someone else would know?

spanko

A little on tube anemone locomotion from Fenner.
Locomotion:
They can move, and may, by pulling out of their tubes and basically allowing current to scoot them about. This can be a dangerous time to themselves and other company. By exhaling strongly through their oral cavity, a tube anemone may easily tear it's body or sting something else.

L

lsu

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2571567
A little on tube anemone locomotion from Fenner.
Locomotion:
They can move, and may, by pulling out of their tubes and basically allowing current to scoot them about. This can be a dangerous time to themselves and other company. By exhaling strongly through their oral cavity, a tube anemone may easily tear it's body or sting something else.
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info!

perfectdark

Although they can, its not likley they will. Tube anemones are not true anemones and are a great addition to a reef tank where one would want the appearance of an anemone without the hassle. They can get quite large but take some time to get there. Their stings are the least potent of all anemone species and are more detritus and filter feeders by nature then they are preditory killers. Just more food for thought. They are also non photosynthetic.