Mostly newb

ghoti

I am buying an established 20gal tank. 2 Clowns w/ Rose Bubble Tip and a Spanish Hogfish. Lots of LR, but it is currently experiencing a glass anemone infestation.
I have not moved tank yet from original location (next weekend I will be) and I was wondering if anyone had advice to get rid of the glass infestation during the move.
Should I just toss the LR they are infesting (about 1/2 of what I'm getting), or should I treat the LR?
The sand bed is about 3 inches deep, and well established. I've looked over the tank, and only see a few janitors, I was going to purchase Mexican Turbos and a Goby or Blenny that likes rougher sand (advise?).
The tank and equipment are in good shape, I will be cleaning the glass and doing a near complete water change with the move. The current owner is helping with the move and re-set up, and the tank has been moved in current configuation a few times (hurricanes last year)
Any otherwise unsolicted advice is welcomed. I have been reading up on SW tanks, and I am ready to take the plunge. And I will soon be asking about setting up a new 55gal tank as well as posting pics of the 20 once it recovers from the move.

fishieness

by glass anenomes you mean aptasia? Im pretty sure they are the same thing. I recomend treating it with Joe;s Juice and pepermint shrimp. Do you have a pic of them?

kdfrosty

Like already said...Joes Juice and Peppermints will take care of them. Also, squirting boiling water on the aiptasia seems to work for me as well...but only if there are a few.

ghoti

Yeah.. Aiptasia... (Re-read the Hitchhikers sticky thread...)
I wish I had a pic.. They're pretty heavy on the top level LR. I may just treat the rocks they are heaviest on separately after the move.
Peppermint shrimp you say... How many for 20Gal tank? To bad my LFS is herbivore only.
Just did a complete inventory of critters:
2 Clowns
1 Spanish Hogfish
1 Emerald Crab
10 Turbos
1 Orange Serpent Star
1 3" Feather duster
2 very small feather dusters (new to current owner as well...)
1 Rose Bubble Tip
several decent pieces of LR (8" max length) with good coraline algae growth.
2 submerged power heads (unknown GPH)
1 filter (skimmer?) hang on back unit.
That about covers it...

kdfrosty

How many peppermints depends on how much aiptasia you have. You could probably wipe out a 20g tank with 2 peppermints. Are you planning on having a reef? Some people say that Peppermints may nibble on zoanthids, cloves, etc.
You best bet is Joes Juice. It's cheaper, it works, and doesnt require any prep really.

fishieness

joes juice is often used with pepermints though. It is more efficient. The joes juice will kill the aptasia, and the pepermint shrimp will eat the rest up to make sure no loose tenticles will float around and sing fish, and so it will not grow back

ghoti

This site says 3-5 inches.. I don't know.... I'm still pretty new to this.. I've done a lot of reading up on setting a tank up.. but not so much on fish species. Thats what I am going to be doing while I cure my 55 gallon tank starting in a couple months.

fishieness

most will.
and thre are not many suitable for a 30 gallon aquarium either. So if you want to keep one in a small talk with inverts, you are going to want to watch what you buy. Sometimes thiss will all depend on the fish.

ghoti

Ok, not a hogfish... Royal Gramma.... Looked close... And its at least 3" now... But, I'm going to check my other LFS for peppermint shrimp for my problem.