Mounting/placing zoos

marcb

I ordered some zoo frags that will arrive tomorrow. I have some that I was given, and they are doing ok, but I'm looking for advice on how to handle the new ones better.
The ones I have I just mounted the plugs to rocks where I wanted them to grow. They are doing well, but since then I have read on here that zoos are generally scraped off the frag plugs and glued to the desired live rock. Is it better to re-attach them to the live rock directly? If so, how do I do this?
Also, regarding light levels, where should the zoos be in the tank? High middle or low? I have 16 (2 fixtures of 8) 54w HO t'5's over the tank, which is 24" deep. My first zoos are up high, and are ok, but seem a bit pale. I am thinking they are too high up.
So, any thoughts anyone?

coraljunkie

You can take them off the frag plug if you want or you can just set the plug where you want it. The zoas will eventually grow onto the adjacent rock and completely cover the plug anyhow. As for light some zoas do better up high and some are better off low. Usually your blues and purples will fade out under high light conditions.

marcb

Originally Posted by CoralJunkie
http:///forum/post/2948966
You can take them off the frag plug if you want or you can just set the plug where you want it. The zoas will eventually grow onto the adjacent rock and completely cover the plug anyhow. As for light some zoas do better up high and some are better off low. Usually your blues and purples will fade out under high light conditions.
Thanks. sounds like what you would think, i.e., dark colors, less light.
I was reading in some other threads about removing the polyps with a razor, and reattaching them to the rock directly. I can just picture me slicing my new frags to shreds trying to do this. Thanks for confirming that just using the frag plugs is ok.