Mounting with epoxy?

O

osprey440

Can you mount the base of sps corals with epoxy to live rock? I have read in other forums that epoxy will heat during the curing process and kill the coral. Can anyone confirm this. If it is true I find it odd that on all the epoxy packages it says it can be used with live corals. I have used reef glue before and had no problems but none of my LFS sell it.

bang guy

Yes you can do it. The epoxy will heat up but the surrounding water will dissipate it before it can harm the coral.
That said, super glue gel is a far better product for mounting coral to rock.

snakeblitz33

I mainly use super glue gel on many corals, though I have sometimes found it necessary to use epoxy on occasion. I haven't found any problems with it so far.

O

osprey440

I used to use super glue gel to mount my corals but I ran out. I didn't know if the epoxy was safe. Thanks for clearing that up. I mounted the coral today, so I will see how it does, my first sps frag.

novahobbies

I've only done this a couple times, but it works pretty well....it's a one-two punch with both epoxy and superglue. Make a ball of epoxy, take a dab of superglue to the very end of the coral frag, and press it into epoxy while it's still soft. Form the epoxy up around the frag a little to give it a nice firm grip. Then, take a healthy dab of superglue to the other side of the epoxy ball, and press the superglue/epoxy ball into place on the rock. The epoxy will cure to the perfect shape of the rock, and the superglue will hold it nice and tight while the epoxy is curing.