Mouse Cowrie- Friend or Foe?

beckzilla

Does anybody know if a Mouse Cowrie can become a molester of different corals and sealife? The reason I ask is I think it just killed my clam and yesterday I found it on top of one of my Toadstool Leathers and it looks like it mowed down the complete top of the leather. It also steals alot of the algae sheets I leave out for my Tang but I already knew they eat alot of algae.

duke13

Cowries in general aren't reef safe. I'm not sure if it's going to hurt your clam, could probably just annoy. I'd worry more about your corals though...

beckzilla

That's interesting. The description on this site doesn't say anything about not being reef safe. So, what should I do with him?

duke13

If he doesn't mess with your tank, you can keep him. If not, trade him for something at your local fish store.

celacanthr

I have never heard of mouse cowries bieng harmful in the predatory sense, more that they get large, and are like bulldozers,so they will push around rocks and basically anything not bolted down.

beckzilla

Mine mowed down the whole top of one of my Toadstool Leathers and I am not happy about it. I know it was him because I watched him do it with my own eyes.

M

mlandrigan

Beckzilla, I read elsewhere that you are from South Bend... Me too. Let me know if you would be interested in splitting an order to SWF.com later this spring. Send me an email at matthewch5v3_12@msn.com
Thanks,
Matt

jacknjill

ive got a tiger cowrie. doesnt eat any corals, but he is kind of like a bull dozer. knocks stuff down if they arent firmly wedged