movin:rubbermaid tubs safe??

chinnyr

I'm moving in a few weeks and taking my tank with me.It is only across town.I want to know if the colored rubbermaid tubs are safe.Will there be any harmful stuff that might leach out?I am going to clean them out really well and use them to transport live rock,some rock with corals attached,and some of my sandbed.I was hoping to not disturb too much of it but the tank will be too heavy leaving it all in.

quazi

I would think that they are OK. But no real idea :rolleyes:
However, make sure your tank is cleared of most of the rocks and sand. I have been in 2 bad tank moves made by people that did not want to completely clean out their tanks. One glass, one acrylic. Both moves were disasters caused by laziness. Please take the time to move things right, otherwise you may be buying a new aquairum when you least expect it.
Just my 2 cents...

joesox

I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid to mix water for water changes, and have never had a problem with it. But I couldn't guarantee that they are all the same. LOL

jamesp

The Rubbermaid containers are just fine for moving for tank. Some people use them for their refuge.
Use your tank water to transport your liverock and livestock. I would leave your sand alone and leave just enough water in the tank to cover your sand. A 60gal tank shouldn't weigh too much. When it's time to move the tank, get all your helpers to move it.

jacksonpt

there are 2 types of containers... standard ones and food grade ones. I have heard reports that the standard grade containers leech something into the water, and are therefore unsafe to use for SW. The food grade ones are a bit more expensive, but I've heard no complaints about them from anyone.
That being said... I've been using a regular one with no problems, though I've only had it for a few weeks.

harman

i have sold tanks as set-up units, and moved water, sand, and rocks with 18 gal rubbermaid totes (5-6) at a time and never had a problem. the first one was over a year ago and it is still there with the same livestock

scotts

harman brings up a good point. Don't forget the weight issue. If you go get 2-30 gallon containers they will weight over 200 pounds each. Since they are flimsy they will be hard to move. If you can get smaller containers that will be beter than getting bigger ones. It may cost more but it will be easier to move. Also I do not think it is a bad idea to wipe down the insides. Use water only.
Scott

chinnyr

yeah,tht's what I'm planning on.Getting several or more to do the move.i am hoping to do all by myself except for the tank itself.It's going to be heavy!