Moving 2 tanks this weekend....any advise ?

Moving all the stuff in my 75g to my 90g.
Also moving all my 20g stuff to the 26g BF.
Any recommendations ? Water and rock is moving with a little sand to seed the Southdown.

supertube

I would put all the sand you are going to put in the tank in first then put a plastic bag on top of it (covering all the sand). Then put a bowl on top of the plastic bag and pour the water into the bowl slowly and you will have alot clearer water.
You may already know this but I figured I would try to help

aqua blue

Hello Mike.
I don't have any experience with moving live rock. My Son recently moved his FO tank from one household to another but he did not have any live rock and he was still using the original 55 gal tank at the new house. He used ice chests to move the water , fish and inverts. He left just enough water in the tank to cover the crushed coral substrate. He was able to move the tank with the CC still in place without disturbing it too much. The ice chests helped reduce the temperature fluctuations as much as possible.
Your situation is different with live rock from the old tank and new sand in the new tank. Are you moving from one tank to the new tank in the same house or are you moving the old tank to the new tank in a different house? Just wondering. Are the new tanks set up with sand, water and filtration just waiting on the live rock, fish and inverts from the old tank? If the move is going to be within the same house that may allow you to take more time in moving the live rock over first and then moving the fish and inverts after things settle some in the new tanks.
I hope that someone that has done this will offer their advice.
Good Luck with the move. :)

wrassecal

Mike please post after your move. I'm going to be doing the same thing here pretty soon, after hubby finishes the stand. Only difference is I'm using all the 220 lbs of sand I have now in my 55 and 20. Too expensive around here to replace that much. I'll be interested in how your move goes. I think the sand first, plastic cover and bowl is a good idea. On moving livestock, I just moved the 55 to re-floor and we used a rubbermaid storage container, siphoned most of the water down to a few inches from the sand bed, put all the rock with anenomes, coral etc in baggies with tank water, laid them and the live rock in the storage container. Once 4 guys moved the tank were able to move everything back into the tank and arrange the live rock, no problems at all. We used one of the powerhead motors and the siphon hose to pull the water back up and out of the container into the tank. Hope this helps a little.

About 4 hours in to it. The 20g has been half emptied and the 26g has half the rock in it. Waiting for it to clear a bit before adding the BTA and GSM clown.
75g-90g progress....about half the water is moved. 3 buckets setup with water with all the rocks and various creatures in them. The percs, purple firefish and a couple of pep shrimp have been safely stowed in the sumpugium until later.
Will post more updates as they happen...
This is NOT fun !!!

Everything is moved. Stirred some more sand. BTA is not enjoying life right now and GSM clown looks to have ick. Can it deveop this quick ?

wrassecal

I guess it could, but maybe it's just got sand on it from all the moving. I've had that happen, scared me to death

Doing much better. Must have been sand. BTA is adjusting. I'll send pics tomorrow after it is all put back together. Letting the sand settle tonight, then adding the remaining rock. I thought I had packed the sand down....NOPE, the rocks dig themselves some holes.

tkblazer

i know what a pain moving all that can be....i recently moved a 75 gal tank, stand and all equipment from a previous owner to my house...basically the whole bed of our truck was filled up and i kept about 50 gallons of the water so moving that was a pain as well.
its all worth it in the end tho ;)