Moving 3 tanks from Va to Fl HELP!!!!

drkdweller

I was planing on moving to Ca so i was going to sell my tanks,
as of tonight there was a change of plans and i will now be moving to panama city. I live in Va and have moved my tanks several time all with in a 20 min distance, doing those it took hours to set up.
Can i pull this off. I have 2 reef tanks and one agressive tank with an eel and a moray. How do i DO this.:needhelp: :needhelp: :needhelp:

rwhite

Wow, thats a lot of stuff to move. I dont see any way of doing it quickly being so far away. How soon do you have to move?
Are you driving or flying?
Here are my thoughts: Any chance of having a tank/tanks set up in FL prior to the move?
How about a temporary move to a friends place in the area while you get set up in FL?
Worst/most expensive idea: Continue renting or whatever in VA and have someone care for the tanks til you can move pc by pc.
Maybe decide on one tank to move? I know that would be a tough decision.
Not sure
:notsure: It would definitely take time and money. We'll be in the area for Tech graduation next week, anything we can do to help?

skirrby

i once lived in VA and have now moved to florida.. didnt have any tanks back then.. but i can tell from making that move before thats its going to be a real pain.. and i wouldnt count on everything making it through that 14 hour drive but it might.. i wish you good luck and its nice to see another board member offering to help.

drkdweller

I would be driving. My girlfriend is going down in a couple off weeks to get a place and im going to stay here till the lease is up. If i did move it it would be just me and the tanks in a uhal.
Thats what i was wondering about that 14 hour drive. will the fish get to hot from the heat, wil they have enough air. The corals im not worried about i took a vaction to clearwater during the spring and brough home some corals they did fine in a coller with ice. The fish is the tricky part as well as when i move a tank it take 2 hours just to set one up. And i would have to set up 3. The reason why im posting now is if i decide not to move the tanks im going to need time to sell everything.
If i do sell i will just sell the fish, and try to take the tank and corals.

drkdweller

this is the 75 set up
Fish:
Neon Goby
Scooter Blennie.
Yellow Clown Goby
Canary Blennie
Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Firefish
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
Flame Hawk
Mated Gold Striped Maroon Clowns Inverts:
2 White Bubble tip Anenome
1 Brown Bubble tip Anenome
2 mating Pepperment Shrimp
1 Michels Pistol Shrimp
1 Emrald Crab
14 Red legged Hermit Crabs
1 Zebra Hermit Crab
1 Extra Large Turbo Snail
10 Nassial Snils
Corals:
Hammer-- Torch-- Cineria-- Pink bubble-- Green Pearl Bubble-- Colt-- Swaying xenia-- Pom Pom xenia-- Cup Coral-- Umbrella Leather-- Cabbage Leather-- UnKnown Plate coral-- Matalic Green Star Polyps-- Yellow Polyps-- Purple Zoo/w Green Center-- Green Zoo/w orange strips-- Green and orange Recordias-- Blue striped Mushrooms-- Green Hairy Mushrooms-- Big Mushroom-- Cool Mushroom-- 2 Candy Canes-- Purple Ribbion Sea Fan-- Brown Spiny Sea Fan-- Galaxia-- Devils Hand Leather-- Pink Finger Leather-- Scamossa Clam 4"-- Red Sponge-- Green Button Polyps-- FrogSpawn-- Elegance-- Fox Coral-- Favia Brain-- Aveapora

pacopetty

I was going to suggest taking your hardware and selling your livestock. I'm sure the rest of the reefers in the Roanoke area would love to buy your livestock.
Let me know if you decide to sell. I could pick up the stuff at your house.
andypetty@adelphia.net

drkdweller

hey whats up pacopetty. That pic at somethingsfishy dosent do my tank justice do you like the full shot. I might be selling off some corals shortly.
What coral would you be intrested in?
Did any one else sign up for that reef club.

mrbubbles

Let me think about that one.Well how do they ship fish on the net ? ship them fedex over night after you move down there get a buddy or you ship them to your girlfriend my guess and have a tank set up for them

drkdweller

that might work, but when they ship fish over night the bags are filled with pure oxygen, thats y soem times the water is blue
however if i send out the fish the same day i move down they should arrive the next day.

spoon

Break the tank down into 5g buckets. As long as the water stays between 75 and 80, the whole trip, you will be fine.
Question is, will you be able to afford all those heaters? :notsure:

Ive moved my tank several times locally. I moved my 55 gallon with fish 100 lb of rock etc. in one trip in my minivan. 3 tanks will be tough I used a long coleman ice chest which fit all my rock in it. I had a power inverter that pluged into the ciggarette lighter which i used to power my heaters. From the looks of it you could put most of those corals in one icechest. I think you can pull it off.
Brian

rwhite

Not trying to be a vulture or anything, but I'd be interested in a purchase from you, if you're willing. As I said, we will be in Roanoke this weekend, probably leaving Sunday afternoon.

pacopetty

Drkdweller, I've had about 8 people express interest in joining the reef club. The couple that sold Somethings Fishy to Jeremy is going to help me get everything up and going.

vibe

hey man. that move sounds tough. if i lived closer to panama city i would help you out, but unfortunatly im to far south. MrBubbles idea sounds like a good one. also what you could do, is get in contact with a local fish store in the city and see if they will look after some stuff or all of your stuff until you get everything established. a place by me does that. i think you can make the move. it will be hard but its possible. good luck man:yes:

pacopetty

Drkdweller I am coming up Tuesday to check out Something Fishy's new arrivals and put up some more flyers about the reef club. If you want we could meet and talk about what you can't take to Florida. Just let me know.
Andy

drkdweller

Ill be there tuesday. Jeremy went on vacation to FL this weekend he's going to let me run teh store tuesday and wedsday.
srry i missed you rwhite i was working at outback this weekend
well the next time your in the area just drop a line. JUpfold@cox.net
I read some where airstones are bad to put in a bucket for a move this true?
i found oxygen tablets but the last guy who used them lost a fish on the test run.

humuhumu

I've made several long distance moves over the years and one of my tanks I've had for 35 years now.
I've always used the 5 gallon buckets with battery powered air pumps available at tackel shops.
I have to say some of the moves have been more successful than others, from zero deaths to more than I care to admit.
The key is being prepaired and ready to get set back immediately. If this might be a problem, I would advise selling the livestock.