Moving a 125 gallon

I need to move a 125g tank from the second floor to the first floor for carpet to be installed. If I fill big garbage cans with the tank water, will I be able to siphon back into the tank the water from the garbage cans if the garbage cans are lower than the tank. Or will I have to take bucket fulls to fill? I want to use the same water since my water and tank is very stable. Any suggestions on how to move the sand and CUC besides scooping it out in cups and putting it in containers.

spanko

You will not be able to siphon water from a lower to a higher container. to get sand out you can use a large vinyl hose while the water is still in the tank. Maybe 3/4 inch. It will take some water with it but if you are careful you can minimize it. What will happen though you are going to stir up whatever detritus is in the sand and will probably experience a cycle of some sort when you re set up the tank.

By vinyl do you mean like a garden hose. Could I use a fish siphon and get the same results. Probably not big enough in diameter. Not sure where to find this kind of hose. What about putting it back in the tank? Do I add the sand first or last? How do I add it?

spanko

The hose can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. Just clear vinyl hose. Most people put the rocks in first then fill in with the sand around it so that the rocks don't tumble if something digs under them. Gonna have to add the sand probably by cupfull or with a larger tupperware container.

spanko

Good luck, take your time, and most importantly do not move the tank with any water or sand in it. Make sure it is empty before you move it. Any weight in the tank will cause undue stresses on the silicone and may be a point of leaking down the road.

Yep, I knew that. But thanks for the reminder. I've got a lot of planning to do to get this done because the new location will also have new carpet installed. How long can a tank sit in buckets before it gets bad for the inhabitants? I have to work around the installer and my work schedule. I am thinking a couple hours. Can it go longer?

small triggers

if you have powerheads and heaters, a day or 2 maybe 3 at most as long as you keep the oxygen up and do not feed anything the day before you put them in the bucket

kpk

Your fish will be fine for awhile in a bucket with good circulation. I had 2 clowns, two tangs, and a blenny in 20 gallons of water for over a week. I did lose a tang, but she was looking bad before the move. I don't recommend this, but if you had to then you should be ok.

Good to know. This is what I am thinking I will do. They can't install the carpet all on one day. So if I have them carpet the lower half which will be the new location of the tank on one day. Then move the tank. Then have them back to carpet the upper floor after the tank is moved. If that makes sense. I will have to have a week in between but the tank will be torn down and set up the same day. They said that would be fine.