Moving a 50 gal tank...

fishytim

I was going to start my own tank, but I found a GREAT deal on a tank from a guy who is moving.
Anyone have any suggestions/instructions on the process of moving a aquarium?
I'ts a reef and fish tank..
Thanks!
Tim

bryonrw

I just got done moving my 80 gal tank with sump. We moved about 60 miles. This is what I did:
1. Went to local hardware store and bought 2 80gal trashcans on wheels.
2. Caught the fish/coral and placed them in tupperware
3. Pumped all the water into the conainters (used cut garden hose and extra pump)
4. Placed the water into trashcans.
5. When I placed the fish in the boxes (that contained the tupperware) I place ziplock bags that has hot water in the box. (keep the fishes warm)
6. and of course the must... Rent a truk with a lift instead of a ramp.
***Make sure its the last thing this broken down and the first thing that is setup***
Hope this helps

I only lost one fish

-Bryonrw

dacottitsx

Well I move my friends 55 gal fish and reef tank to my house which was about 15 miles.
I went and bought 4 6gals water containers and bought a cooler for the fish, LR and coral. After putting all of the fish and water in the cooler I then filled the 6 gal containers and poured out the remaining water.
When setting up the tank I place the water from the 6 gal container in the tank and put the fish and coral in the tank with that water from the cooler. Then added the more salt water for my 10% water change.
Had the tank about 6 months now and all of the fish and coral are health.
Good Luck.
P.S. have fun lifting the tank!!!!