Moving a tank 'almost' full....to accomodate a Skimmer

stieger

Hi folks,
I have a 100G glass tank sitting on a 24" stand, and just got my Coralife skimmer. Of course, there's not enough room between the back wall and the tank, so I need to move the tank in order to accomodate the skimmer being hung behind it...
So, my question - the tank is all but about 2" full from the top, and I only need to move it about 1/2 inch in order to have enough room for the skimmer to fit...
Am I risking breaking the tank/stand by moving it? I won't hold you responsible, but I don't want to have the skimmer hanging off the side of the tank as I have a canopy - so I gotta some how get it to the back...
Any risk in moving it? Glass tank, not acrylic
THX!
Stieger

fireshrimp

GL moving it unless you have hulk hogan and andre the giant help lift. If you could move it the stress on the seems would not be pretty. you are better off draining the tank then moving it or getting a different skimmer.
GL

dragonzim

Originally Posted by FireShrimp
GL moving it unless you have hulk hogan and andre the giant help lift. If you could move it the stress on the seems would not be pretty. you are better off draining the tank then moving it or getting a different skimmer.
GL

You stand a very good chance of cracking the seams on the tank or destroying your stand if you try and move it when its full. You're looking at at least 900 lbs or so...

stieger

Going to try and remove a ton of the water into big 10-20g Target plastic jugs/containers. Move it with 1/2 the water out and use a RIO 2100 to pump it back in again - all before the wife gets home today....
Ah, I forgot why I love this hobby so much after getting back in from 15+ years ago!
Stieger

scsinet

It will be nearly impossible to move, and highly risky if you do so.
Unless your stand is made of kryptonite (which is an catch-22 since you'll need superman to move it, and if the stand is made of kryptonite superman won't help you much), it's not going to be able to handle lateral movement with that much weight. If that tank were to collapse, on top of you, you could be killed.
If the stand is on carpet, there is NO WAY you'll be able to do it. The stand will have sunk down into the carpet to where it will have to be lifted to be moved.
I'd get a couple of cheap rubbermaid containers and drain down the water as much as possible and remove the live rock to move it.
Sorry to say, but thems the breaks (no pun intended).

stieger

I suppose before I go through with this fiasco I need to ensure my Coralife Super Skimmer 'air inlet silencer" is going to work - right now when I plug it in I lose all bubbles - someone mentioned that I need to ensure it's not clogged.
It would be ironic to drain the tank, move it, refill it, and still not have the silencer work correctly - that would drive me mad.
I could have moved it last night, but when I started to pick up the stand I heard all kinds of "quirks" and decided I didn't want a bunch of water all over me.
Crumb, I only need 1/2 inch more space! Maybe I could shave the black plastic framing??
Best,
Stieger

ms752

Well sorry to tell you but you have only 2 choices imo, 1.empty almost all the water out. 2. if you can put the skimmer in your sump or hang it in your sump if you have one. good luck.

squidd

Drywalls about a 1/2" thick...Get a hammer and knock a hole in the back wall about the size of the skimmer...
The way everyone makes it sound, you'll never be able to move the tank
...so no one will ever see the hole...
problem solved...

joncat24

Originally Posted by Squidd
Drywalls about a 1/2" thick...Get a hammer and knock a hole in the back wall about the size of the skimmer...
The way everyone makes it sound, you'll never be able to move the tank
...so no one will ever see the hole...
problem solved...

LOL