moving an established tank

thingfishdave

My sump sprung a leak, and I need to move my 55 Gal tank to dry out the carpet and wood. Its on the second floor. I was going to drain the water into plastic totes, and put the coral,fish,ect into them,then move the tank. After I dry out the carpet I will move the tank back. Will everything be allright for the two days in the totes??

242bats

Originally Posted by thingfishdave
http:///forum/post/3155663
My sump sprung a leak, and I need to move my 55 Gal tank to dry out the carpet and wood. Its on the second floor. I was going to drain the water into plastic totes, and put the coral,fish,ect into them,then move the tank. After I dry out the carpet I will move the tank back. Will everything be allright for the two days in the totes??
move the tank as you said. but set the tank back in the new location, dry the carpet, let the tank set for a week or two and move the tank back. put the water, rock, coral in the totes move it all and put it back in the tank. do a water change or two, do it all over agan. it worked for me. good luck

ryancw01

They should be fine in the totes as long as there is water movement and the temperature remains consistent.

oceandude

I agree with everyone for sure. As long as you have flow, proper temps, etc. because the totes are your temporary aquariums.
It would be good time to rinse your sand too. Adding water back to un-rinsed sand can really stir up some bad stuff. Your critters will thank you for it.

thingfishdave

Got everthing in the totes, and left about six inches of water in the tank. The carpet was black with mold! It will be a few days before I can move the tank back. I would like to clean the sand. How do I do this? Rinse with salt water?

242bats

i would say yes, rinse with saltwater two or three times. and let set in new saltwater after rinsing.