Moving an existing tank..Cycle?Y/N

J

jaybird101

When moving an existing established tank and all the contents are saved (including water) do I have to cycle the tank again?

J

jaybird101

I plan on putting every thing in rubbermaid tubs filled with tank water. Sand in 1, rock in 1, fish in 1. Can't help stiring up. Have to empty tank just to pick it up. I will make sure to put a critters and such in its own tub.
So when I get it home, just set it up, add sand, rock and water from tubs and turn on equipment and all is FINE??

ifirefight

I moved my 130 gallon,including all fish, inverts,LR, and 90-95% of the water. From the time I unplugged it till the time it was set up in the new location was 3hrs. Everything was fine,no need to cycle. Putting the water back in did stir things up a bit but it cleared up pretty quick. Get some friends with good backs and some beer for a "reward" you should be fine. Good luck. P.S. Beer AFTER moving everything

Originally Posted by ifirefight
I moved my 130 gallon,including all fish, inverts,LR, and 90-95% of the water. From the time I unplugged it till the time it was set up in the new location was 3hrs. Everything was fine,no need to cycle. Putting the water back in did stir things up a bit but it cleared up pretty quick. Get some friends with good backs and some beer for a "reward" you should be fine. Good luck. P.S. Beer AFTER moving everything

haha yeah beer and motivation dont combine too well haha.

thegrog

I moved my 125 without any spike in parameters what so ever. It was almost 12 hours from breakdown to full setup again. The drive alone was 4 hours! Didnt loose a thing (except sleep).

J

jaybird101

Originally Posted by wax32
HOW TO UPGRADE
This site recommends not using my water from the old tank. It says new water doesn't cause cycling.
Use old water or add all new water???

psusocr1

i used all of my water from my 75 then toppe doff with fresh saltwater to fill my 125.. it also took me from start to finish about 12 hours jus be sure as stated try not to stir the sandbed, if so just use the top layers of your sand bed and replace the bottom with new sand...
should be fine without a cycle

thegrog

I tried using as much old water as I could. You always end up loosing some (floor spills) and it is a pain just to transfer buckets of water hundreds of miles as your friends are grumpy as is with helping move a hundred pounds of rocks and sand!
In the end, don't think it makes a difference.

psusocr1

my corals, fish and liverock were int he tub for about 11 hours, but i did have two powerheads, a heater and a skimmer in there..
the skimmer wasnt neccasarry but i had it laying around so i used it..