Moving Day

mudplayerx

Greetings all,
I am moving this weekend to an apartment about 5-10 minutes from my current residence. I will obviously need to relocate my 55 gallon reef tank. It is heavily stocked with corals and established live rock. The way I see it, I have two options to choose from since the move is so short. I would like some input, especially from the old hats and mods.
Option 1:

Since I will have access to my old residence for about a month, I was thinking I could use two ten gallon tanks to hold my corals while I recyle the old tank water at my new location. I am guessing that I will need to cycle at least a week or two since I will have to scoop out all the aragonite sand in order to transport the tank (then put the sand/old water back in). This would take place in a matter of hours.
I would run heavy carbon in the two 10 gallon tanks since 55 gallons worth of corals would be in them. Would they survive this for a 1 to 2 week period? The live rock would be transported to the new location in a big plastic bucket with tank water in it. The car would be kept running the entire time with the heater on.
Option 1:

Since the move is only 10 minutes away, I was thinking that a large cycle wouldn't occur since I am using the same, old tank water. I am concerned about the deep sand bed being scooped out though. With this option I would set up the 2 ten gallons at the new location and keep the corals in there until the sand settled.
Any thoughts? Tips?

puffer32

I think you will be ok since the move isn't far. The only problem could be moving the sand like you mentioned. Your plan sounds good, I would not put the corals back in the 55 until you are sure there is no longer a chance for a spike to occur, just keep testing and do a healthy water change in a week or so, then move everything back into your DT.

Y

yeffre kix

I would play it safe an keep the corals in holding tank at your current location and allow new tank to cycle completely. You can get large rubbermaid containers to hold them for a few weeks with no problems.
Obviously keep the lights and heater on them, and continue to skim. Treat it like a display tank at the LFS, bare bottom, good water and light, strong flow. Test the water to make sure its staying stable.
I think moving the deep sand bed is going to cause a cycle by itself that would really stress if not kill sensitive corals.

mbowker

I moved a system about one hour away, put everything in coolers and saved the water, rock in a big Brute container. Made the move, replaced the sand in the new home, waited about three hours for the sand to settle. Put good water movement in the tank during the filtering of silt. Put the coral and fish back. Never lost a fish or any of the 35-40 coral pieces. Including Gonipora and Bubble coral.'
'
seems weird having you look for advise, I usually look for your posts for the advice

stsweene

2nd what bowker said - I made a very short move like you are going to do and what I found worked well was to bag up fish and corals, then get big rubbermaid tubs/coolers for LR and water. Once all your water is removed then you can scoop up your substrate pretty easily. then once your moved just reverse it all... wait a couple hours...then restock... have fun & good luck... your going to be tired... lol... ** double bag all your corals, have 10-15 gallons of new water waiting... impossible not to spill some....

fishcake

when i Moved my 150 gallon an "hour away" I held all my livestock and LR in a 100 gallon rubbermaid for 1 week while i set my 150 back up.
I fed very sparingly and i did not have any losses.
Remember, do not to rush and you will be fine.

mudplayerx

Thanks for the suggestions and imput guys. I think I'm going to buy a huge plastic container and keep all the fish/corals in there for a week while the sand/liverock sits in the main tank.
Also, I'd LOVE to upgrade the 55 gallon to a 90 or 125 but I can barely even afford a coffee table and computer desk as it is. (I'm a college student moving out on my own).

hot883

Originally Posted by MBowker
'
seems weird having you look for advise, I usually look for your posts for the advice
Me too, looking for his advice. Sometimes we know the answer, just need alittle reassurance.
Mud has always dealt out great knowledge and advice.

reefkprz

Good luck with the move, I'm going to be moving my 75 into my new house soon so I know your dread. if you dont scoop the sand you should be able to break it down and have it back up within 24 hours. Hey look at the bright side! you could be up here in maine with 25below wind chills to suck the heat right out of everything........ I would almost kill for a 30F degree day.