Moving established tank-help

fishyone

I have been reading the boards for awhile deciding exactly what kind of setup I wanted. Was on my way to the LFS to buy the initial setup (i.e tank and all) when a friend told me of a complete running tank for sale. It is pretty much what I was going to do and at about 40% of the cost. It is a FOWLR with LR, LS a few fish and some mushroom corals. It is 58 gallons.
MY question is what is the best way to move something like this? It will be about 10 miles from their house to mine. I assume that the LR and LS will need to be kept in tank water during the move. I would like to keep all the current water. Any suggestions would help. WIll it cycle again, I dont think so but just curious.

fishfanny79

Great thread, I have been wondering this myself since I know eventually I will want to move my established 55 gallon into a 125 gallon...I am going to pay attetion to the responses for sure. Sorry I personally could not be of help...and I also assume that you will want to also keep the fish in water too right? Not just the lr and ls? ;)

stacyt

The 1st thing that you will want to do is purchase several plastic tubbs. You can drain the majority of the tank water into the tubbs, and place LR, corals, and livestock into the tubbs. I recommend removing the LR from the tank durring transport, as you do not want the LR to fall over and damage the tank. With just the LS and a little water to cover it in the tank you should be able to move everything. You also may want to consider the purchase of some battery operated air pumps to place into the containers. Also have plenty of freshly mixed salt water ready to add to the tank. Your sure to loose some of the water durring this process, and you might as well get a water change done. The tank should not cycle again just make sure that any filtration media is kept in the tank water, as well as all LR, and LS covered completely in the tank water.

I just went through this exact situation 6 weeks ago. I had no losses. The tank didn't even cycle.
I had found an established FOWLR tank for sale about an hour away from where I live. So needless to say, I had to complete the whole move in one trip.
I will tell you this now... Put aside a WHOLE DAY for this. I arrived at the guy's place at 8am, and only had all the livestock and everything else in the tank at my place at 8PM.
First things first. FIND NEW SAND. I doubt you will be able to use the current sand in the tank since by stirring it all up, you will loose the gas exchange that has been established in the sand, thus the tank WILL cycle. You can't move the tank with the sand in-tact, since it will be too heavy, and it will get stirred around in travel anyways.
The person I bought the tank from was using a CC substrate with a plenum. I knew that I was going with DSB anyways, so I bought 160lbs of playsand, and 40lbs of livesand since I wanted a 5" DSB in the 90 gallon tank I was buying. Your application may vary.
Preparation:
-Get your new sand and have it ready at your place.
-Since you're buying a 58 gal, have atleast 50% of that (29gal) of water mixed and ready with salt. (mixed 24-48hrs earlier). This is incase you loose water during the trip (it happened to me), and in the worst case, you'll have more water ready for anything.
- Buy 3-4 Rubbermaid containers with covers to transport the LR and other inhabitants. Keep rock only with rock, and have a rubbermaid used ONLY for the fish, inverts, etc.. Use dark rubbermaids so as not to stress the fish.
- Buy 4-5 5Gallon water jugs (like the ones used for water dispensers). These work great for transporting the water, and work great for storing water afterwards.
- Have the space ready to accomodate the tank. Make sure you have a power source near the intended tank area, And have plastic bags covering the general area where you will be installing the tank. Handling so much water, there WILL be some spills.
- If you don't have a truck/van, you will need to rent one so that you can do this in ONE trip.
- Get Beer... You will need this for later on.
- Hire 1-2 friends to help you out.
Starting the move:
-start by removing the LR and putting it into rubbermaids. If you bought 4 rubbermaids, use 3 for the rock, and 1 for the fish. As you finish with 1 rubbermaid, siphon water from the tank into it to keep it submerged.
-Once all the LR is out of the tank, you'll notice that there isn't much water left. And now you can catch the fish much easier and put them into the remaining rubbermaid, which ofcoarse has tank water already.. Half full should be more than enough for this rubbermaid. I used a small jug to catch the fish and put them into the rubbermaid.. I think that nets can/could do damage to a fish, let alone add stress.
-Siphon the remaining water into the water jugs that you bought just for this occasion. Try to leave about 1" of water over the sand so as not to siphon any sediment into your jugs.
-The remaining water should be siphoned and disposed of. By this time, things will be starting to smell.. Algae on the glass will be dying off, and things will now get smellier.
- Now the fun part. You will have to scoop out the sand (USE GLOVES HERE), and dispose of it in industrial strength garbage bags. This is a SMELLY stage of the move. Once it's all out, lift the tank off the stand, and take it outside for a final rinse with a garden hose before packing it up.
- a note on filters.. Keep any filters submerged in tank water, and/or fluval's full of tank water. This will prevent the good bacteria from dying off.
- Pack it all up, and move FAST. Try not to do any suddent movement while driving, since the water WILL slosh around at the slightest movement.
Unpacking:
- Start by taking the tank out, giving it another rinse, and now scraping off any dead algae, coraline or otherwise. Have the tank looking new when you install it.
- Install the stand, and then the tank into the spot you cleared out earlier.
- Take one of the powerheads and a heater, and put it in the rubbermaid with the fish/livestock. This will help them for the time they have to spend in there.
- Now the sand... You will have to rinse the sand before you put it in the tank to prevent it from clouding up. This does NOT apply to the livesand. Normally sand bags come in 40lbs bags. Empty the sand into a large container, and rinse it outside with the garden hose. Basically put water into the container with sand, and with your hands move the sand around... pour out the cloudy water and repeat 3-4 times until the water is pratically clear.
- Put the rinsed sand into the aquarium, try to lay it out flat along the bottom. Once all the PLAYsand is in, put in your LIVE sand as a "topcoat".
- Now it's time for the water. place a bowl on the sand and slowly add the water you brought in the jugs from his place onto the bowl in the aquarium. By pouring the water on the plate, you won't displace the sand in the aquarium.
- Start adding rocks when you finish with the jugs. Add any remaining water from the rubbermaids into the tank as well. Arrange the rocks now the way you want them to look.
- Get the water movement, filtration, etc... going and let it go for an hour or 2 to let things settle in. Add any missing water from the prepared water you made before in the preparation phase top off the tank. This can be thought of as a small water change since you're putting in new water.
-Distribute Beer among hired friends. Maybe a pizza may be due here as well...
- If you had moved corals, introduce them now...
- If everything seems settled down, and there isn't much cloud left in the tank, you can start introducing your inhabitants. Using a jug, take them from the container, and pour them into the tank.
They WILL hide since they are scared from the ordeal they just went through. Install the powerhead and heater from the rubbermaid the fish were in, into the tank or sump (if yours came with a sump), and make sure everything's working.
- Keep the lights off on the tank until the next day to allow the fish to settle into their new tank environment.
I'm not sure if I forgot anything... But with enough preparation, you should be ok.. I suffered NO losses in the move, water params are perfect, and fish are now doing better since the previous owner had started to neglect them. There will be a period that the sand will mature (new sand syndrome?). During this time, the sand will have some algae blooms on it. Which will disappear...
Hope this all helps.

It would be helpful if you listed all the equipment involved. There can be minor to major differences in how things are handled depending on type of filtration.
The tank will cycle again. To what degree depends largely on how you handle the livestock, water etc (and the equipment)
Assuming (I hate doing that) you are moving a wet dry or canister (you mentioned FOWLR so I am assuming not berlin, no plenum, or refugium) and skimmer maybe a few other things?
If possible have a friend, driving a separate vehicle, help you and one more to stay at your house to help later. Make 30 gallons of new salt water, 10 gallons of plain RO/Di water and keep it at your house. Pick out the location for the tank and check for level and make sure you have adequate electric (yes I have set up a tank then realized the outlet was 5 feet away :rolleyes: )
Bring with you five 20 gallon rubermaid tubs, a box of one gallon ziplock bags and several either plastic or paper grocery bags(or a styro box from the LFS works really well).
First turn off and remove anything blocking access to the tank and set aside. Remove 1/2 of the water and split it between two of the rubbermaid containers. Place any inverts and/or corals in one of the tubs with water. Gather all the live rock and place in the other tub of water. If it will all not fit use a third tub and add some water from the other tub containing the live rock. Cover tub(s) of rock with paper towels or clean ( and I stress clean not freshly washed with fabric softener etc) cloth towels and wet.
The only thing remaining in the tank should be fish, shrimp crabs, snails etc. Remove these and place in the rubbermaid tub with the corals and inverts. Put lid on tub (dark is good:) )
Now is where your friend helps out. Remove the remaining water to within 1/2" of bottom to the other rubbermaid containers. Leave the last 1/2" (you will use it later) Remove all equipment and load the tank, stand and equipment into truck as well as the last 1/2 of the water you removed from the tank and send your helper on his way to your house (where more help is hopefully still waiting). When he arrives have him and waiting help set the tank in the pre determined leveled location bring in the water and if possible re-install the equipment. For now do not add any additional water. Relax until you arrive.
Meanwhile after he leaves you still have rock and livestock to deal with. Using the water from the coral/invert/fish etc tub begin bagging all livestock in the 1 gallon zip lock bags. You could use smaller quart bags for smaller pieces. Once you have everything bagged place in the styro box or grocery bags and carry all (tubs of rock, remaining water from livestock tub and styro box or bag to your vehicle) go home :)
When you get home double check the location, level etc of the aquarium and equipment. Since the tank has been setting for a while, a lot of sediment will have settled out of the water onto the live sand. Use a 3/8" piece of tubing siphon out as much as possible including all the remaining water. Begin placing your rock and try to complete the aquascaping as quickly as possible. You will never get it back exactly as it was so avoid spending to much time trying to show every piece of nice coralline etc. Just get the rock in and the rest will come back in time as your tank matures. Now add the water that was transported with the tank avoiding the bottom where again sediment has likely settled. Use the new salt water to make up the difference (just think of it as a large water change) turn on all equipment and check for proper operation and leaks. Once everything is going start acclimating the livestock and release when appropriate. Install top and lights but leave lights off overnight.
If you are still a little short of water use the remaining water in the livestock tub first, avoid the rock water if possible.
Use the RO/Di water to clean any equipment that needs serviced and to wash any prefilter sponges etc. if you do not need this water use it to mix up another fresh batch of saltwater for additional water change in 48 hours.
It is important for the first week to keep any mechanical filter, and sponges very clean. If possible I would run carbon for the first 24 hours. (don't forget the skimmer either)
Any bio-media will make the trip no problem. Be careful not to stir the sand bed anymore than necessary and DO NOT run your fingers through it looking for snails etc. There is nothing like grabbing hold of a 12+" bristle worm to dampen your spirits :eek:
Sorry the post is so long I will try to answer any more specific question you may have. Obviously there are quite a few steps that could be combined or eliminated but IMO slowest IS fastest.
Good Luck
SiF

Looks like he types faster than me (but then doesn't everyone:D )
I would also do a search for others that have moved tanks in the past.
Good info. and should be enough between us to at least give you a slight headache :)
SiF

hehehe Slowest is Fastest...
I guess I did type it rather fast...
It's amazing how a lot of our statements are pratically identical. He will be able to get what he needs between both of our posts.
There's one part I disagree with in your write up though... Moving a tank with sand and some water in it will be HEAVY, and risks the chance of breaking out the bottom of the tank.
If there's a DSB in there, that's probably 100-120lbs of sand, add to that the water in the sand, it will be close to 160lbs (or more) total weight inside the tank :eek: ...
The slightest twist of the tank with that weight in it will crack or break out the bottom of the tank.
Then you have to worry about the trip home, the tank will be bouning around over bumps with that weight in it.
If it were me, I'd move it empty, hence the need for new sand.
But that's just me.

I agree that moving a tank with water and sand is heavier and there is the possiblity of breaking it that without the sand is MUCH less (you could still drop an empty tank....yep guilty there too :D). Having said that the tank is a 3 foot 58 gallon Oceanic and a little shorter than AGA (making it stronger and less likely to twist) and IMO made better all around than AGA.
I was also looking at the 58 for sale in the classifieds and may have pictured it when I was writing (it was not 4-6" DSB)
Bottom line though is there is a greater risk of breaking it with the sand still inside but with a little extra care in moving, plenty of help and no wreckless driving I believe it is still quite possible with very little risk of breakage.
Good point.
SiF

fishyone

Thanks for all the great info. After planning to make the move, the current owner evidently has good connections with a "professional" reefkeeper (the type who does tanks for offices etc..), they have offered to do the move for me for about $50.00. Of course they are trying to sell me some more fish and accesories in the process. I think for that amount I can hardly go wrong letting them do it and then I will reciprocate by buying some of their stuff later when I need it. Hopefully, it will start a good relationship as the only real LFS is pathetic. At least, this person knows what a DSB is. Will let everyone know of results. Again, thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I will be needing more soon. :)

speedy

i moved my 125 2 weeks ago from maryland to north carolina i just thorow all my stuff in ruber made tubs and put them in the truck and off we went thay were in there for 1 hole day and nothing died got sick nothin in fact all my stuff look 10 times more healty
think thay put something in the water here :D

fishyone

It is now day two after having my tank moved. Just wanted to post how it was done for other beginners as it seems to have worked without any flaws at least yet. It was pretty much done as described in the posts in this thread.. Initailly, some water was removed to holding buckets to put the LR and fish and mushrooms into each a separate bucket. The fish were all bagged individaully and floated in the busket with the water. The tank was scraped and cleaned off algae. The sand was then vacuumed and about 1 inch of water was left in the tank. It was then carried out with the remaining water and sand. Didn't seem to be much of a problem, but then again Iwasn't the one doing the carrying. Got to my house, levelled the stand and tank added about half the water back, added the LR and the mushrooms then did about a 10 gallon water change and topped it off with the remaining tank water. Then fish added. Took about two hours with three people doing it, including driving time. No cycle yet. These guys do three hundred gallon tanks all the time so they were very efficient time wise-no way I could ahve done it that quick. FOund out that my LS may not be as live as I thought.
Doesn't seem to have alot oc critters other than bacteria. Don't know if I would recommend vacuuming it if it was relly LS would have to defer that to someone with more experience. Thanks again

irishconor

I see you got alot of responses it this but the one little bit of advice you didn't get was to be careful, this was not your tank, so you dont know what shape the waters in or what the old owner put into it. I would be more concerned to find out if the old owner put copper into the water or not. Due to the fact that copper will kill any kind of reef you try to start up.
Including live sand and some fish like butterflys (may not kill but I do know they dont like it)
You can pick up a test kit at your socal store not too expensive so its worth it to know.

stanlalee

I did the same thing except I put the subtrate as well in buckets (one bucket in my case) and swirl and rinsed it with the excess water from the tank several times (might have done differently if I had live sand or something in the subtrate to save), then I topped off the bucket with tank water submerging it slightly to transport it. all my buckets were 5 gallon buckets with tops. I also didn't use any of the water from the existing tank doing virtually a 90% water change. Not saying its advisable but everything in my tank survived and the cycle wasn't broken what so ever.