Moving everything to bigger tank

chichi

I'm not sure where to start this thread. We started our first tank a little over a year ago and I posted here a lot then. Anyway, things have gone rather well, we have a 55 gal that has been quite stable. There are no corals, just fish and inverts, but we've acquired a 90 gallon tank and would like to move things over. I know it won't be that easy, I would like to add corals to this tank. Anyway, I'm just not sure where to begin. For instance, filtration: I'd like to purchase a protein skimmer but does it have to be a sump or can it be a side hanging? Lighting would be an issue, too. This tank currently appears to have the standard fluoro lighting and a plastic top. We are buying a new stand with a hood. Anyway, any info would be great. I'm not sure about sand, either. We currently have a 3-4 inch sandbed with pistol shrimp inhabiting it, how do you move this stuff?? One question just leads to more so any info would be appreciated! TIA

mcbdz

Well to start a few questions. Do you know the dimentions of the tank? Most important depth. What do you plan on keeping coral wise? What is your livestock?
I would say a sump would be bests but if not then you can get HOB. Is this tank reef ready ?
LS is the hardest thing to move, exspecially that depth. Is this tank going in the same spot or can you have them both running at the same time?

chichi

I'm not exact on the dimensions, I think 48X18. We currently have about 9 shrimp (peppermint and camel) 1 CBS, 5 small light blue fish (not sure the same, they were the first inhabitants), about 20 snails, 2 pistol shrimp, 1 brittle star, 15 hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 mandarin, 1 shrimp goby, and I think that it is. We will be placing the new tank next to where the 55 gal is located. I'm just not sure how to start set up since I'll need quite a few things before I even think about it. Do you add all new water and sand or can I take some sand out of the old one first?

mcbdz

Originally Posted by CHICHI
http:///forum/post/2454125
I'm not exact on the dimensions, I think 48X18. We currently have about 9 shrimp (peppermint and camel) 1 CBS, 5 small light blue fish (not sure the same, they were the first inhabitants), about 20 snails, 2 pistol shrimp, 1 brittle star, 15 hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 mandarin, 1 shrimp goby, and I think that it is. We will be placing the new tank next to where the 55 gal is located. I'm just not sure how to start set up since I'll need quite a few things before I even think about it. Do you add all new water and sand or can I take some sand out of the old one first?
When you are all ready to setup the new tank you can transfer about 50% water( then add new water back to old tank) move over your live rock and get every thing running. It would be safer if you got new sand(less then 2") and then add a cup of your sand from your lod tank. After you have the new tank running for a day or so check you water parameters. If they are all in check you sould be good to acclimate you fish over. if you see a spike, then let it run its cycle before swithing live stock.

chichi

Just a few more questions.....what type of filter would be best?? I just have the basic filter for now but will upgrade. The lighting is also standard. If I use a powerhead to give more flow ideally where should I place it? Thanks for the help!!

mcbdz

Originally Posted by CHICHI
http:///forum/post/2454241
Just a few more questions.....what type of filter would be best?? I just have the basic filter for now but will upgrade. The lighting is also standard. If I use a powerhead to give more flow ideally where should I place it? Thanks for the help!!

Setting up a sump/fuge would be your best bet.

You want your gph(gallons per hour) to be 20x's your tank size or more that's 1800gph. So after you add the flow of your filters then get a few powerheads to equal the right turnover. Better to atleast have 2-4. Place them so you don't have any dead spots in your tank.
On lights, it will depend on what type of corals you plan to keep. 4-6watts is rule of thump for medium light.
This is something you'll have to read up on. try reef forum.