Moving fish

leftyblite

Im getting ready to move and sad to say am having to give up my tank. Ive got some friends who are more than happy to take it but we are not sure how to move it and all its residents. 150g with 3 fish. Any suggestions that would help?

flower

Sorry to hear your letting it go. There are so many threads on moving...do a search, on a few of them myself and others give great detail on how to move a tank and critters. It is so much to retype...
Are you sure you couldn't save the tank and goodies and get rid of the three fish?
It would be expensive to start up again later...even the rock and sand will keep. I have on occasion broke down my tanks...I always go and reset them up later. I only sold my stuff once and had to replace it to learn my lesson...I'm fish hooked.

tomc

You should drain the water into buckets or new garbage cans - put each fish in a bucket of water by itself. Save all the sand and place in buckets. Put live rock in the water in the garbage cans. Disconnect all equipment. Try to move as quickly as possible to the new site. Maybe have the person who is taking the tank to mix some new salt water as you may lose some of the water during the move. The important thing is to try and save all the sand and water so you do not lose the biological filter. I have move a few times and always had great results. Hope that helps.

leftyblite

Wish i could move with it but we are moving to a 2nd story apartment which will not support the weight(I checked). Just happy to have someone who wants it and is interested in it

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyblite http:///forum/thread/382752/moving-fish#post_3342893
Wish i could move with it but we are moving to a 2nd story apartment which will not support the weight(I checked). Just happy to have someone who wants it and is interested in it

Then just downsize, keep the sand and rock you need and anything else usable off the big tank. give or sell the rest. The 2nd story apartment may not hold a big tank but I bet it can hold a 40g or 55g
If you get rid of everything or any reason other than you don't want a fish tank anymore...you will be buying and replacing very soon.

leftyblite

Wish we could get a 40g or 55g. As it is we barely have enough room for our furniture. We sold our dining room table as it wont fit cause of my computer desk. Dont think the wife would like it if i decided to get a 40 or 55g tank. I do have a 10g that will be going with us.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyblite http:///forum/thread/382752/moving-fish#post_3343114
Wish we could get a 40g or 55g. As it is we barely have enough room for our furniture. We sold our dining room table as it wont fit cause of my computer desk. Dont think the wife would like it if i decided to get a 40 or 55g tank. I do have a 10g that will be going with us.

LOL...When we moved into my house it was so small that we either had to have a fish tank (my 90g) or a sofa. I had the tank in there, I felt bad for my mom who came to live with me after Daddy died, nobody could sit when they came to visit and I knew she wasn't happy about it. I WAS going to sell my tank and get a 60g Hex. Ah but with a little ingenuity the book case fits under the Plasma TV hanging on the wall, we built a shelf way up high next it to hold the DVR U-verse, the front door swings under it nicey. We got a love seat size sofa...and I still have my 90g tank.
I also took up the kitchen with a huge bird cage for my parrot JellyBean...We eat in the living room, it's just the two of us. Our computers are in our bedrooms. Mother had the bigger desk so she got the larger room. In my 10X11 room I have a dresser, a daybed, a small table for my printer, a small student desk with a comfy leather computer chair and a stand holding two 30g tanks I am setting up for seahorses. JellyBean's sleeping cage takes up half of my closet. The daybed sits high so I have storage under there.
All that to explain that you can do allot more than you realize no matter the size of the nest. A Hex footprint is only around Two feet back to front and side to side. Not much space at all.
You can do whatever you like, I'm just offering suggestions. The simple words..I don't want to ...works as well and then I will leave you alone about your decision. I'm just trying to be helpful, since you said you wish you could.

leftyblite

The tank as of yesterday is now set up in my friends home and appears to be doing good so far. I will be setting up the 10g very soon in the apartment on my desk. i know that this is hard and limited on fish but its what i can have for now