Moving heaters to sump?

bluemarlin

I have a 180 tank that is kept at 78 degrees via 2-heaters in the tank. I have never liked the looks of the heaters in the tank and I have always wanted to put them down in my 55 gallon sump. I am worried though that they may not keep the water in the tank warm enough. Does this make any sense or am I worrying for nothing?
I'd love to get those things out of my main tank. Any thoughts?

broomer5

I beleive that the key to this is water movement throughout the system.
What return pump are you using - about how much water do you feel you're moving from tank to sump and back - per hour ?
I suppose you could move 1 heater to the sump - see how that works.
Then try the other one - and monitor the temperature.

robn70

It works the same as your home heating system where water flows from the furnace in the basement to the heat registers throughout the house then back dow to the basement. At least for those of us who don't have forced air or electric heat.

cadbury

I have a 180 and a Ecosystem, mine is in my ecosystem and stays at a constant 79 degrees. I would'nt like it in the tank either......

mr_bubbles

Placing your heaters in the sump should be just fine as long as your flow rate is high. Be careful, in winter it becomes more difficult to maintain the temp.

broncofish

I have 2 heater in my setup. One in the overflow box, anf one in the fuge. The temp in both the box, and the fuge is a little high(82) but the tank stays right deadnuts at 79.

pmauro

I have 3 ebo 250's in my 120 gal sump and they keep my 450 gal tank at 80 dead on even when the temp in the house is 72.

bluemarlin

I have two 700 gph pumps that move the water from the sump and back into the tank. The valves are fully open so I do not restrick this flow. I guess it should be fine and I will try the move one heater at a time method.
Thanks.