Moving House

aidos

i am new to this hobby and am interested in setting up a tank within the next 2-3 months.problem is i am still living with my parents and will be looking to move out in around 18 months time (next x-mas)
how easy will it be to transport my aquarium to another house. i know moving the weight of the aquarium will be difficult but how will the inhabitants cope. i'm looking at building a reef tank so the rock work would have to be secure but what would the procedure be??
would i need to revmove a certain amount of water, or remove fish from the tank completely???
any help would be apperciated as i dont wanna got ahead if i can't keep my inhabitance of the tank.
cheers

belothsurf

Goood question.......not easy to move an already established tank. Are you doing that ? Give us some more info.....details!!!!

belothsurf

If you are 'dreaming".......start dreaming of some money. Sorry, just reread what you had to say about living with the folks. This is not a hobby to take lightly, this is not a puppy, a kitty to pet on occasion. This is more than a hobby, it's a lifestyle. If you can't afford it...move on. This is not something you can play with...............

aidos

weather i live at home with perant is irrelivant to weather i can cope and finacialy maintain a saltwater tank. the reason i still live at home is because i will be studying in the UK for 3-4 months at the end of next year (during which time my father will look after the tank). there is also no point moving out of home only to leave the country for 3-4 months in 12 months time, and having no one to care for the aquarium. i have a strong interest in this hobby, i am currently studing a biodiversity course at university and understand the patience and care involved in building an aquarium, which is why i would like to know how difficult it is to transport an established aqurium. i will not undertake the hobbie if i am unable to move the aquarium when i wish to move out. not think about the future when undertaking a "lifestyle" would be irrisponsible. i was after some mature feed back.

aidos

to make my question clearer if i have an established tank, how hard/difficult would it be to transport the entire aquarium including inhabitants to a new house. the time of travel would be between 10-20 minuntes max. i understand the weight would be a problem but i want to know if the fish and invertbrates will cope with the movement.

standish

Obviously alot would depend on the size of the tank.
But...people move their tanks all the time. You can't move it filled though. The inhabitants and rocks and whatever else needs to be transported seperately (like in buckets or rubbermaids).
Save as much of your tank water as possible to refill it when you get it moved.
Ideally, if you can set up a small "hotel" tank at your new place first, the move will be much easier.

aidos

i guess it would also be a good idea to re-acclimate the fish and inverts aswell.
cheers mate, with that good news i'm really looking forward to begining to build my aquarium.

Aidos
Your move would be much easier than mine. We moved a 150 gallon and a 75 gallons with all contents over 700 miles one way. This was done in two seperate trips also. How large of an aquarium will have?

aidos

im hoping to get a 65-90 gallon tank. just want to work out how hard it will be to move and then decide what size will be best.
so if you can do it with a 150 then a 75 should be not problem!! lol.
cheers

aidos

mightyoxjuice
how did your livestock cope with the move, and how did you re-introduce them in to the tank?? did you just follow the same procedure as you would have done when bring livestock home from LFS.