Moving maxina

olemiss

I picked up two maximas(2 inches) a few weeks back and placed both of them higher up in the rock work near each other. One stayed put, the other slowly makes his way down the rock work to the sand and wedges under a shaded ledge. i moved it back up once and he went right back to the same spot. Tanks been running for about a year. Lighting is a 14k 150 watt halide, tank is 24x24x14. 2 gallon water change daily. Levels are fine, calcium is a bit high- 460. Should I move it back up or let it decide where it goes?

btldreef

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/3260102
I picked up two maximas(2 inches) a few weeks back and placed both of them higher up in the rock work near each other. One stayed put, the other slowly makes his way down the rock work to the sand and wedges under a shaded ledge. i moved it back up once and he went right back to the same spot. Tanks been running for about a year. Lighting is a 14k 150 watt halide, tank is 24x24x14. 2 gallon water change daily. Levels are fine, calcium is a bit high- 460. Should I move it back up or let it decide where it goes?
Well, you don't want it in the shade, but it's obviously not happy up where you keep putting it either. I would try putting it in the sand a few inches from where it keeps going if there is more light available there and see what it does. Ultimately it will decide what it wants.
That being said, when I raise clams and want them to stay put I have occasionally used a tiny dab of coral glue to keep them in place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's not enough and they jump anyways. You just can't use too much glue, and I'd only say to use glue as a last resort. I use it to keep them closer to light because I raise them under PC lighting.