Moving Plate Coral

nordy

Here's a pic of my big ol' plate coral. A couple of times recently I have found that it has changed positions and slid a couple of inches out of it's corner, putting a move on the green brain coral to the right. I didn't think these things would move, but this one has. It's getting so big I am thinking of finding a new home for the two brains in the south 40 just to give it more room. I love that purple mouth!
Sorry-just noticed that the pic didn't upload for some reason and I can't get it to work?

petjunkie

Only some seem to move, I have a purple rim one that never moves, my orange one moves a little and I had a green one that crawled all over the place.

petjunkie

How do we know they are moving because they are "unhappy"? Maybe they are bored.
Corals don't have emotions. My purple plate that never moves is the worst looking one of the bunch, never inflates, no tentacles, gapes, doesn't feed. The orange one puffs up huge, eats anything, doesn't move even when flow is obviously an issue to it but every once in a while moves, usually when another coral is nearby. The green one puffed up quite a bit, ate pretty well and almost every morning crawled forward onto the orange plate and once the other way into an acan.

jeanheckle

petjunkie;2883366 said:
How do we know they are moving because they are "unhappy"? Maybe they are bored.
Corals don't have emotions. /QUOTE]
I did not mean unhappy as an emotion...I meant no happy with placement or water quality and in those instances they do move. But thank you for mocking me! This is a forum where I may agree or disagree with anothers opinion but I always treat that opinion with respect.

florida joe

jeanheckle;2883596 said:
Originally Posted by petjunkie
http:///forum/post/2883366
Corals don't have emotions. /QUOTE]
I did not mean unhappy as an emotion...I meant no happy with placement or water quality and in those instances they do move. But thank you for mocking me! This is a forum where I may agree or disagree with anothers opinion but I always treat that opinion with respect.
I am sure you dont need me to defend you but I just thought I would add
An emotion is a term for a mental and physiological state associated with a wide variety of feelings, thoughts, and behavior. Behavior the key word so if our corals behave in a certin way, retreating with the absence of light for instance could we not say they have emotion

petjunkie

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2883596
Just pointing out that everyone says they move because they are "unhappy" about something and really I have never seen evidence of this. Plates just move around, who knows why. Most of mine only move towards other corals and end up attacking or being attacked but sometimes they just crawl a few inches one way or the other. I don't say they only move to attack corals because that's not consistent either.