moving please any ideas

mack

hi all i am moving in a month i have a 90 gallon reef with lots of corals and about 7 fish and three shrimp and two stars i have about 90 pounds live rock a pink tip and a large carpet i will have to the move in one day can any one give me any ideas on the beat way to move the tank with the least amount of problem (hopefuly) thanks for any replys

dory36

I guess it all depends on how far you're moving. Same city, different city, different state? When we moved (about 3 miles away) we just moved things in big buckets. I'll never forgot the look on the mover's face when I handed him a bucket of fish and told him not to drop it on the ride over!
We didn't lose anything, so that method worked for us. Good luck! Moving's always a pain. :nope:

unleashed

i posted this for someone else on fish disccusssion:i moved a 125 gal.
well its a given your going to have to empty the tanks( Iknow you already knew that part but had to put it in for s&g)if you dont already have them purchase some large 5 gal buckets with lids(hardware stores sell them.rinse them well before using)these you can transport your LR and cc or sand ,water in.you can use rubber maid tubs but 5 gal buckets are easier to carry and are more stable and secure.plus you dont want to cycle all of the water for your tanks again so save as much as you can.for your fish and other stock that needs air,there are a few choices you can use. personally when i moved my 125 gal to a new home(i didnt have to drive 2 hrs but the fish were kept for a long time aprox 8 hrs outside the tank)I used a 40 gal cooler with the easy reach beer door(you know that tiny door on the main door) you can use any size cooler you can find larger is heavier but less airlines to run.if you have corals inverts and such that the fish may harm during transport put them in compatible species coolers.you can purchase battery opperated air pumps the prices range from 10.00 and up(these also come in very handy during power outages) these can be purchesed at most fish supply stores or fishing stores sold for live wells . so always a good investment. place the airtubes into the coolers (or you can purchase enough buckets or rubber made tubs poke a hole through the lid and run airlines directly through the tight lids make sure yoyu have enough air lines for each container transporting the fish, you can buy extra air tubes and splitters for multipals.load them up and your on your way.for use of a cooler running airlines i suggest placing towels or trash bags around the base (fast turns makes waves) my van smelt like fish for 6 months after i moved mine ( ack).i hope this helps or at least gives you an idea of how to move them without loss or waste.happy trails to you..
PS not one casualty

yaksplat

I just moved a month ago without a death. I only had 14 miles to go and fortunately I had a month to do it in. I also decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to upgrade the tank in the process. So i went from a 55 to a 120. I got the new tank up and running in the new house and then in one day I just put all of the fish and corals in those ZipLoc and Glad disposable tupperware things. I re-acclimated all of the fish and corals and everything went smoothly.
The worst part was moving the 140# of rock. Some pieces were too big for 5 gallon buckets so I had to use the big rubbermaid totes.
Good luck!
Jim