Moving ?'s

nacl-man

Ok so here goes: I'm (finally!) moving into a townhouse (at which I will have a yard and at last be able to get a dog but that is another story) what the heck do I do w/ my tank?
What is the best way to move it? I don't have that much in my 44 now, about 50lbs of LR a Clarkii and a bi-color blennie.
Any ideas? I'm not moving that far away. Who has done this and what was your experience?

save most of your water and put it in five gal. buckets. keep any sort of bio. filtration wet. remove your substrate, you don't want your tank busting through the bottom. there's really not much to it, but it's definitely not fun. good luck

scottnj

Plan it out a bit and its not all that bad.
First thing I would do is get a larger rubbermaid container in the new townhouse (congrats by the way) and mix up some new salt water so that you will have it when you need it.
I would also move as much of the water as you can, 60-70% at least. Rubbermaids are okay, but better are those paint type 5 gallon buckets with the lids that snap on. You can also put your live rock in these buckets or in a rubbermaid. If its a short move you don't need to keep them underwater, but its not a bad idea.
I used tupperwear containers to put the fish into. They hold a decent amount of water and won't splash or spill.
Lets see, once you get the rock and fish and most of the water out of the tank, go for the sand, scope it out and into another bucket, etc.
Once you get the tank set up and running, I would drip acclimate the fish to it so that they have some adjustment with the new water.
-Scott

nacl-man

Thanks for the replies and the congrats!
This is the one thing I'm not looking forward to do during the move... and I'm moving our fridge! :rolleyes:
Cheers!

saltyj

Hey NaCL-Man,
Go to the new hobbyist section and do a search on "Moving Day Pics" I posted pics and some helpful hints when I moved my 75gal several months ago. Hope this helps.