Moving Suggestions!!!

scarybo

I'm planning on moving into a new house in a couple of months. At that time I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank. I wanted to get a few suggestions about the best way to do it. I want to use my current 40 gal as a fuge. I plan on going up to a 100 or 150 gal. It doesnt make sense to me to move my current tank, set it up, and then break it down when I get a new tank. I also dont have room to set up both tanks.
A. what is the best way to cycle the new tank and new LR.
B. Could I cycle the LR and LS in a rubbermaid then move it into the new tank when I move.
C. What can I do to avoid a cycle since I have corals and fish I dont want to lose.

bstoner

I moved my 55 gal. tank with fish, inverts and LR about a year ago. Basically what i did is bought 8 5gal. buckets brand new, never used(important) so the water does not get contaminated. I slowly pumped the water out of my tank into the buckets and put some rock in each one i left one without rock for the fish and inverts. I moved the tank as fast as i could to the new location. Once i got there i put a heater in the bucket with the fish etc. Then i started pumping the water from the other buckets back into the tank very slowly in hope of not stirring up the crushed coral to bad. As well as adding rock as i could. I put a heater in the tank to start warming it up to the temp of the bucket with the fish in it. I also put in 15 new gal. of water in the tank. Once the water was the right temp. i put the fish etc. in the tank. I did not lose any live animals and my tank is running great. You might also want to float the fish as if they were new additions to your tank. It also helps to leave your lights off for atleast 12 hours after the move to reduce stress. I hope that i was able to help.