moving tank questions

connor

hello, im moving 5 hours away from boca raton to jacksonvillle here is my game plan.
i will individually bag every coral and fish, i will wrap every pice of live rock in wet newspaper and toss that into a rubbermamid tub. i plan on leaving the 60 pounds of sand in the tank(its a 90) would that work?? and iam tryin to save half of the tank water and replace the other half with water i purchase premade from a fishstore up there.
Second part
How long should i wait before i add things to the tank?? should I wait a month or just wait like a week as long as the water tests good
thank sooo much for your help Connor

tankslave

Will that not damage your tank to leave that 60 lbs in it? I don't thing I would risk it, but I could be wrong.
Second part
I hope you mean add new stuff ....you're not planning on leaving your existing fish and coral in bags for a week are you?

connor

no no i mean add NEW stuff to the tank lol i shouldaa clarified. io will take most of the sand out then

tstaub3

I have moved my tank and now i have to replace it again
i got the boxes my lfs recives his fish and corals in the ones with styrofoam linning and put my corals in them, i line them with plastic lawn bags and add water . :happyfish

saltysteve

I just helped move a 125 gallon running tank 2 months ago and this is what we did
my brother in law purchased the tank from a friend of mine who was moving out of state
1)You need a van
2)We purchased 6 new rubbermade 30 gallon garbage cans and cleaned them well
3)cleaned some 5 gallon home center pales
4)First we filled 1 garbage can 2/3rds with water(two guys can lift at this level) and put in the 6 fish that came with the tank. We brought them to destination and through a heater in the water( was a cold day 62 degrees)
5)filled next 3 garbage cans with live rock and made sure they were all submerged under tank water,(again 2/3rds filled) very heavy with the live rock)
6)moved remaining water in last 2 garbage cans
7/Filled 2 5 gallon pails with live sand and water
8)Reassembeld tank at destination, Tank looked like hell for a few hours but cleaned up like mothing happened and everything lived
9)Although you have a long drive I thing this is the best way without causeing too much distruction