Moving tank.

theappe

Im gonna be moving soon and I wanted to know if anyone had some advise on how to move my tank. Thanks in advance!

monalisa

Originally Posted by theappe
Im gonna be moving soon and I wanted to know if anyone had some advise on how to move my tank. Thanks in advance!
Plan, plan, and then plan some more. We moved my daughter's 55gal tank about 65 miles.
First, plenty of bins to easly transport critters, rock, water. We kept her critters and live rock in the same bin and we were able to purchase some kind of outlet thing that plugged into the cigarette lighter of the van to keep the water aerated (air stone) and heated (heater) during the transport.
Once we reached out destination, we added as much water to the tank possible (the sand was kept in the tank during transport) and let that heat and aerate overnight. The next day, we added the live rock and critters that had been in a bin overnight being heated and aerated, and the rest of the water. Done.
It went really better than we thought it would. She had very few critters, just hermits, snails, emeralds, that kind of thing. I would imagine it would be more stressful with fish. Just be sure to get all your ducks in a row and go over your plan time and time again.
Lisa :happyfish

theappe

i have a 30 gal. i need to move it about 5-10 miles. not too sure on the distance, but its pretty close. what i imagined to do is get baggies and bag all the fish just like in the fish store then move the tank and corals and then set everything up and temperature acclimate the fish again. lets see what happenes.... any other input?

bjlled

I'm moving too and have been reading all the threads on here about the topic. Only about 5-10 miles. I was gonna get a bunch of 5 gal buckets, but thats a lot of $.
someone in town (aquarium maintenance service) will move the 30 gal tank for $100. almost worth it, i think.

theappe

I think ill be able to manage. Shouldnt be too hard. I just plan on sticking everything in ziplock bags and then just temp acclimate. It just gonna be a hassle though.

rbaldino

Go to your LFS and see if they'll give you any of the big styrofoam boxes they get stuff shipped to them in. They'll hold all your rock and fish and help keep temps stable.

monalisa

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Go to your LFS and see if they'll give you any of the big styrofoam boxes they get stuff shipped to them in. They'll hold all your rock and fish and help keep temps stable.
That's a good idea, or just collect a bunch of coolers to hold your livestock while they're in the bags...that should also help to keep the temps a little more stable.
Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes. When is your move?
Lisa :happyfish

jessi p

Sometimes you can get 5 gallon plastic buckets from restaurants for cheap - they charge $0.75 each locally. I have pickle and strawberry buckets.

theappe

I'll be moving early next month, but I really want to plan ahead. I was thinking in sticking the sutff in coolers to keep the temps stable.