moving tank

uking

I know this is a very hard ?
I am looking to move my 280gallon tank to the 2 floor in a split level home. Would this be to much weight for anything other than a ground level? it 8 feet long a 30 inches wide. I dont want the thing to fall thru the roof....

cboyfan2020

I wouldnt do it unless I added support joists. Tank and water alone will be about 2800 lbs plus LR(300 lbs) plus LS(300lbs)
so you are looking at about 2 tons of weight in an 8'x3' space not including sumps or anything like that.

uking

thanks ........i didnt feel to good about the idea. I think i just needed someone to give me a 2nd on this one. However there is a place that I can put it in front of a window, where there is a wall under it to support. the wall is the outside wall. the 2nd floor sets on top of the wall wth a 2ft ext. kinda like a bay window. I didnt want thewindow to be covered(have no choice)
would like to show it off alilttle when company is over. Its a beauty!!!!!!!

cboyfan2020

If you are going to set the tank in front of the window make sure there is a cover over the window. The natural sunlight will raise the temp and cause unwanted algae growth. FWIW

uking

Thanks...it will be by a vent. I have great heaters for winter and a very large tree in front of that window for summer with blind for the sun light. I am sure it will be some light that will still get thru, however I should be ok. Now I just have to find some help to left this thing. Good think its not glass.