Moving Tips?

beaker

Im moving my 55 gallon reef tonight. its about a 45 minute drive, I figure i need some buckets, ice chests (or whatever i can put the live rock in with some water) and some stuff to put my anemones and fish in.
I have 2 very big anemones (one bubble, one seabea) and they are very fussy and have been in my tank for over a year. i am really concerned they wont make the move.
any tips? Pics below

jacksonpt

first off... beautiful tank!
next, for the move. I moved my 75 last spring. I bought 5 5g water tight buckets from home depot, and 2 45g rubbermaid containers. I emptied as much water as I could into one of the 45g rubbermaids. Then I pulled out as much LR as I could. I laid the heater across a few pieces of LR (still in the water, just not touching the plastic rubbermaid). I put 2 powerheads in the rubbermaid the keep the water moving. I put all my fish, corals, and inverts in the rubbermaid. All told, about 25g of water, 50lb LR, a few fish, a few corals, and a few inverts. I then emptied the rest of the water into the other 45g rubbermaid. I put all the CC in one of the 5g buckets. Now the tank is completely empty. I moved the tank, stand, and equipment to my new house and got it all setup. I went back to the old house and started filling the 4 remaining 5g buckets (one has CC in it, remember) with water from the second 45g rubbermaid. I maid a few trips until the second 45g rubbermaid was empty, and my tank was about half full. Then I moved the CC, and put it in the half-full tank. Then I moved as much LR as I could (left 2 pieces to keep the heater from touching the rubbermaid)--put the LR in the tank. Then I filled the 2 of the 5g buckets with water from the rubbermaid, and moved the fish into 1 bucket, the inverts into the another. This left enough water in the rubbermaid to be able to leave the corals in the rubbermaid while I ran the fish and inverts to the new house and put them in the tank. Back to the old house will all 5 buckets. Filled 1 with water, and added 1 piece of coral. Added another with water, added 1 piece of coral... etc. I did this until each bucket had 1 coral in it. Fortunately, I only had 5 pieces of coral at the time. That also took care of almost all the water, so I took the heater, 5 buckets with water and coral to the new house and put them in the tank. Then I topped off the tank with new water to make up for the 10 or so gallons that got splashed out or was lost during the process.
All told, took me about 3 hours. However, my new house was only about 10 minutes from my old house. If you are moving your tank 45 minutes, you might want to buy more 5g buckets so you only have to make 2 trips.
HTH

beaker

i just went by my local fish store....they gave me 5 5gal buckets and about 5 large boxes insulated with styrofoam (the just got a large shipment in 20 minutes before i got there) and then some large baggies for my fish.
I already have 4 5gal jugs for when i do my water changes. if i have left over water after filling everything, i might just dump it and do a water change in the middle of move.
thanks for the advice :D

Congrats on the move, I hope all goes well!! Off topic, what lighting combination do you have under that fairly shallow hood?? I have a 65 gallon, also with a shallow hood and am having problems finding the right light combination. I have 170 watts of high-output fluorecents and would like more ...not much of a carpenter!!