Moving to a bigger tank.

stig

Hi, I haven't posted here for ages. I'm not really a beginner but this is kind of a beginner question so......
I have a very small set-up: 15 gallons with 6 fish - cherub angel, maroon clown, wrasse, puffer and 2 gobies. The system is very stable and has been set up for 3 years.
I am moving to a new place and want to use the opportunity to upgrade to a 46 gallon. I want, if possible, to transfer everything directly to the new system. I realise that this needs some very careful planning and execution. The new place is only about 5 minutes by car. Here is my rough plan:
(1) About 2 weeks before the move, remove carbon from my filter and replace it with as much crushed coral as possible to seed it with bacteria.
(2) The move:
Transfer all the tank water in brand new containers. Move the fish in bags. Bring all live rock and wash the existing substrate in tank water. Upon reaching the new place, I will transfer the fish to a large bucker with heater and airstone.
Place a layer of old substrate on the new tank floor. Add a thin layer of new sand. (This could also be seeded if necessary). Transfer old tank water and live rock. Run a canister filter with only existing crushed coral and cotton pads. Add about 4 or 5 gallons of new (but aged and seeded) water.
Add the fish. Over the next several weeks add small amounts of new (but aged etc) water to the system. To my mind this will be no more damaging than regular water changes except the proportion of new water will actually be less and less each time. At this time I will also gradually increase the amount of substrate.
Sorry for the long post.
(1) Are there any serious problems with my plan?
(2) Is there a recommended amount of time to seed new filter material?
(3) Should I also seed some substrate material prior to the move since the whole system will require a larger population of bacteria?
(4) Am I destined to fail?
(5) Any other suggestions?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Stig.

killafins

lmao, i think no one is responding because no one can find a problem with your plan. As you said, you are treating it like a simple water change added to moving. For eather way you have to move your tank the way you are doing it but by moving to a bigger tank you are just doing a simple water change. The only problem i do find, being picky, is the seeding process. I think you might want to give it a bit longer time that you plan but besides that i think your plan is brilliant.

stig

Thanks a lot for your reply :) I guess I was worried that what I was going to do seemed a little too simple and, therefore, there must be a problem with it.
I'll start the seeding process tonight and that should give it almost 3 weeks.
On a related note...I'd like to change from a crushed coral subsrate to sand. I wrote above that I was going to use my existing substrate as the bottom layer in my new tank. Would it instead be possible to seed the sand and then remove the crushed coral? In other words - put my crushed coral in nets and bury it in my new sand bed. Then, after a month or so, remove the nets of old substrate leaving only sand.
Would this work? And, if so, should I bury the nets or can I just place them on top? How long should I leave them there?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Stig.

robb

Buy a pair of nylons and put your CC in them and lay them on the sand of your tank to seed it.

twicklund

I think your plan looks great. Definitly change to sand. I did this last year and my tank levels have been perfect ever since. One thing you can do is use live sand (the kind that comes in the bags with a little water in it) to seed your new sand bed instead of the existing cc. May seed your bed faster, but the nylons with CC will work as well.
Good luck, and let us know how the move goes.
tw

stig

Thanks a lot for the replies.
I had guzzled a little too much 12-year old Maccallan before my last post and I ended up rambling on. That's why I've edited it.
The nylons sound like a great idea. I don't think it's possible to buy live sand here - at least I've never seen it, so I'll have to stick to seeding with my cc.
Any ideas on how long I should leave the cc in nylons in my new tank? Is it better to bury it or is it OK just to put it on top of the new sand?