Moving to Boston Need Help.....

tthemadd1

Good afternoon everyone, been a while.
I am heading to Mississippi for a month to do some work with FEMA. Make a little change before I move with the lady to Boston.
Here is the question. I am looking for an apartment in an area that is relativily safe. I have heard the Mission Hill is getting better and so is Jamaica Plains. Although I would prefer an apt around Northeastern where she will be going to grad school. I am wondering if anyone lives in the area and can help with locations. We are looking for a two bedroom around 1200 +/- and off street parking. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Themadd1

dougai

i live in fairhaven, about 1 hour or so south of boston, very small sheltered town..
i havent really been up to boston besides sox, c's, and pats games

tthemadd1

I actually stayed at the HoJo beside Fenway on a home game night. Not the best plan. Traffic was hell.... But alot of fun to drive in the city again..

sw65galma

1,200/mon in boston is a no go.....maybe for a studio appt?
I lived in Cambridge and it was $2,800/mon for a 2bdrm
If I were you I'd look outside the city..anywhere in the city at that price...Trust me you don't wanna be there...JP is OK, I still wouldn't go outside at night.
Look in Qunicy..it's the new boston lol..It's connected via the Red Line and Commuter rail...it's about 10mins south of boston by car, and 20mins by T and 5 mins by commuter rail.
Everyones moving there...Not too expensive..and very well connected to Boston.
And not a half bad place to live...
Once you get here I'll be glad to help ya with anything...
my email is sw65galma@yahoo.com keep in touch and good luck.
Oh and remember Blinkers are a sign of weekness here lol

pbienkiewi

In Boston there are no rules... Like you said Directional who needs it ...... Just turn the wheel. Make the other person worry about it.

pbienkiewi

Ha.... Red light means stop if there is a car in your way. Yellow light means speed up. Green means go. Right turn on red after a rolling stop. Pedestrians are mearly objects to run over. If your at fault you still can flip them the bird.

bradttu

I was in Burlington this past May for training. Here's my question. Why in the world do they have two left turn lanes and the light that immediately merge into one lane? I lost count of how many intersections were like that up there.

fishy7

Tthemadd1

Moving to Boston....I just moved from there. SW is a 100% correct you will not find $1200 in Boston.... Maybe a box under the Tobin Bridge. :scared:
I lived in Cambridge for 8 years and paid $2900 for a 4 bdr home. I went to Northeastern also. If she is planning to live in the city, plan on taking in roommates. It is pretty much the only way to afford to live downtown unless you have big pockets....
My commutte was quite easy since the sub(T) system in Boston is awesome. I walked to the Red line and transfered to the Orange line to Ruggles... The sub(T) is very safe but, beware do not take the Orange line past Ruggles. :scared: You can get to NE on the Green line also but Orange was more convenient.
I also looked into using the commuter rail. Living in the outter parts of mass you can get more affordable rent with a more SAFE feeling.....
JP, West Rox, MH and Madapan are not the most desierable areas to live in and would stay clear. They have improved but like SW said do not go out after dark...
If you want to chat mare about MASS. I am pretty knowledgeable. Drop me an email at Rkingtxtx@aol.com. I will be happy to share.....
Good luck...

tthemadd1

Well I moved to Boston and left my saltwater tank back in Ohio....

Anyway, the lady and I found a pretty nice place in Jamaica Plain. The area is a little rough but we talked to alot of people in the area and feel fairly safe. We got a nice alarm system for the apt and I think it will work out well. Luckily, we have off street parking so I can save alot of money on my car, ie taxes, insurance, plates. I am just going to keep my insurance from Ohio as long as possible. If anyone is still interested in the tank or its inhabitants my brother resides in Columbus. Let me know and if there are any Bostonian out there let me know. I always like to network with new people...
Themadd1