Moving up

srt8

I tried uploading all the pics at once from my I phone,don't think it worked do I submitted them one by one,sorry for the confusion

sweatervest13

oh yeah.. Super close. Cool.
The MH you have, have great reflectors. Are the bulbs new(ish)? You might want to use those for a few months and save up for a nice LED fixture. You can supplement the MH with the LED strips you have now.
Did you find the tank on MIreefers, or CL? Nice score!!.
The rock looks great, and I love the storage containers. Can't wait to see this bad boy up and running.

srt8

Hey Thanks,Yes I was thinking of getting new bulbs as they are getting due,I have not used metal halides,what are your recommendations for 250 watt bulbs? And use my strips to supplement until I can get some nice LEDs or build some,and I found the tank in Craig's list the day he lowered the price.I hate to say what I paid.I mean it wasn't cheap but it was compared to buying it all new.I would love a closed loop but not sure about drilling the tank,I guess I could just use a couple nice Tunzes along with the big Koralias that came with it. I want to keep mostly SPS AND some LPS. I have to get rid of some really big leathers and pulsing Xenia that is taking over my 75. My wife loves the Xenia and I like it too but I can see it spreading to take over and I don't want the battle to keep it in check.

sweatervest13

For sure. I would not add the xenia to the big tank. You would be spending a lot to time keeping it at bay once it takes hold. I made that choice with some kenya trees that I had in my 29g before I upgraded to my 125g. Shoot I still have a nice colony of GSP that I keep isolated in the sand bed so it does not spread onto my rocks.
As for the bulbs, you have the single ended MH (I have no experience with the single ended bulbs) I have heard that Phoenix and Ushio are good brands.
Here is a quick google link that shows you some options.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=mogul+metal+halide+bulb+aquarium+14k+250+watt&oq=mogul+metal+halide+bulb+aquarium+14k+250+watt&gs_l=serp.3...37512.39647.5.39853.9.9.0.0.0.0.73.568.9.9.0...0.0.0..1c.1.12.psy-ab.ditvKCJF8M0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47008514,d.aWc&fp=6d4c4365f833f326&biw=1024&bih=751
You should expect to spend about $75.00/ bulb. But for $225.00 you basically get brand new lights. Not too bad. Even if you go for some decent Chinese LEDs like the Reefbreeder Photon's you would probably need at least 3 or 4 of the 32" fixtures (I would mount them back to front because your tank will be 6'x 3') and at about $450.00 a pop you are looking at $1350.00 - $1800.00 for new LED lights.
If it were me, I would spend the $225.00 on new bulbs and use what you have already (the LED strips) to help supplement. You could have the LED strips come on first for a sunrise effect then after a couple of hours have the MH come on for like only 6 hours, then back to the LED strips for a sunset. Maybe use the lowest power heavy blue ones for a moonlight.
The big PH's that came with the tank will be fine to start. IME an SPS tank is a big challenge for the first year of a tank (not that I have a ton of experience). I have read that most folks just wont have any luck keeping SPS in a tank under a year old. So why not take the first year getting the tank ready to keep the pretty colored sticks. It will help save some money to buy the premium equipment.. Like you said it was a good deal, but still not cheap. You already spent the money, why not use the equipment??

srt8

I like what you are saying,I agree they are almost new halide fixtures, so I want to get new bulbs and supplement with my LEDs until I figure out what I need exactly,I may spring for some Ushios until then.The ecoexotics I have now are some pretty nice lights but I don't think they have the horsepower so to speak by their self,but with the metal halides I can get good light and use the ecoexotics to come on first and last and enjoy the blue effect.Now let me tell you about my fish,I have in my 75 a Yellow Tang,black occie clown,klauwitz Blenny,blue spot jawfish and two yasha gobys.The 300 gallon came with a yellow tang,purple tang,occie clown pair,scooter blenny,and diamond goby. Now I didn't have anywhere to put the fish but in my tank.The LFS told me three tangs might be ok,well not in my 75 because my tang owns that tank he immediately went on the war path, needless to say it wasn't pretty so I rescued the yellow tang to the sump well then he went after the purple tang so I finally caught him and put him in the sump too,wow was my tang vicious, I mean grabbing fins and pulling and tugging. I hope I can put them all 3 in the 300 at the same time and things wil be ok? Any input on that? Also the diamond goby has plowed my sand bed up like a bulldozer so I don't think he's going in the 300. The male clown of the pair seems to hassle my black clown a lot but I don't think it's life or death, I know it's too many fish for the 75 but it has to do until I get the 300 going. I just do more water changes.It was not pretty watching my tang go on the war path. He is Mr Attitude for sure.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 http:///t/395555/moving-up/20#post_3522262
I like what you are saying,I agree they are almost new halide fixtures, so I want to get new bulbs and supplement with my LEDs until I figure out what I need exactly,I may spring for some Ushios until then.The ecoexotics I have now are some pretty nice lights but I don't think they have the horsepower so to speak by their self,but with the metal halides I can get good light and use the ecoexotics to come on first and last and enjoy the blue effect.Now let me tell you about my fish,I have in my 75 a Yellow Tang,black occie clown,klauwitz Blenny,blue spot jawfish and two yasha gobys.The 300 gallon came with a yellow tang,purple tang,occie clown pair,scooter blenny,and diamond goby. Now I didn't have anywhere to put the fish but in my tank.The LFS told me three tangs might be ok,well not in my 75 because my tang owns that tank he immediately went on the war path, needless to say it wasn't pretty so I rescued the yellow tang to the sump well then he went after the purple tang so I finally caught him and put him in the sump too,wow was my tang vicious, I mean grabbing fins and pulling and tugging. I hope I can put them all 3 in the 300 at the same time and things wil be ok? Any input on that? Also the diamond goby has plowed my sand bed up like a bulldozer so I don't think he's going in the 300. The male clown of the pair seems to hassle my black clown a lot but I don't think it's life or death, I know it's too many fish for the 75 but it has to do until I get the 300 going. I just do more water changes.It was not pretty watching my tang go on the war path. He is Mr Attitude for sure.
Sorry SRT8, I am slammed at work today... But real quick... I would say that you should set up a temp QT tank or two and try to transfer some fish over. And/Or take some to Kee's and sell the fish back/ trade them in. You can get store credit and then when you have the big tank up and running go and spend the credit he gives you.
I would not have 3 tangs in a 75g. The YT's and the Purple tang won't get along for a second.

srt8

Hey,no problem sweater vest, I'm thinking of painting the back of the tank black,what kind of paint should I use? Also I am going to keep the tank at least 2 feet or maybe 3 from the wall,I want plenty of room to get behind it and do what I need to do,I am also going to put a closed loop on the tank. It is supposed to be delivered Monday. I have some 10 year old leathers,they are pretty big and a lot of pulsing Xenia I need to get rid of . Maybe Kees will give me store credit. Any body know what the best paint to use is?

acrylic51

I use basic old Rustoleum paint to paint the back of my tanks.....I've used both the roll on and spray can. Either works IMO......

srt8

. So my black clown started hosting in the anemone that came with the big tank I bought, I already had this clown and I got a pair of clowns and and an anemone with the tank,I put all this in my 75 while I get the 300 up and running,the pair did not get in the anemone but they are showing interest it looks like now but the male was hassleing my black clown a bit maybe he got in it for protection? Anyway it's great. Also a couple pics of the tank. I got my plumbing hooked up and sump in, the glad I checked for level and it was out about 1/2 inch side to side,luckily I had a big pry bar they gave me when they closed the plant in St.Louis as I had started putting water in it. Plus I have decided against drilling this big glass tank. I will just get some nice Tunze powerheads. I hope the clown stays in the anemone after they move homes.

srt8

. So my black clown started hosting in the anemone that came with the big tank I bought, I already had this clown and I got a pair of clowns and and an anemone with the tank,I put all this in my 75 while I get the 300 up and running,the pair did not get in the anemone but they are showing interest it looks like now but the male was hassleing my black clown a bit maybe he got in it for protection? Anyway it's great. Also a couple pics of the tank. I got my plumbing hooked up and sump in, the glad I checked for level and it was out about 1/2 inch side to side,luckily I had a big pry bar they gave me when they closed the plant in St.Louis as I had started putting water in it. Plus I have decided against drilling this big glass tank. I will just get some nice Tunze powerheads. I hope the clown stays in the anemone after they move homes.

E

eric b 125

Word! Looks good. Drilling a tank really isn't as bad as you would think but I totally understand your hesitation. I have learned that if it's something you think you will want, might as well bite the bullet now. I am definitely excited for you. This will be a fun tank, methinks.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/395555/moving-up/20#post_3522751
Word! Looks good. Drilling a tank really isn't as bad as you would think but I totally understand your hesitation. I have learned that if it's something you think you will want, might as well bite the bullet now. I am definitely excited for you. This will be a fun tank, methinks.
+1

Drilling is not that bad at all.