Moving Your Home... moving your Tank

aquarook

Just curious. I'm looking at all the angles before purchasing my first Reef tank. I'm considering something around the 75-100 gallon size.
My question is simple say I spend the next 3 years building this reef tank and stocking it and then decide that I am going to move out of town, maybe out of state. How does one move their stocked tank?

chad24

Well Rook, First of all, I have a 75 gal reef myself. And I purchased it already established. I went to Wal Mart and bought 5 - 33 gal containers ( this way they would not be completly full). And we placed all 80lbs of live rock, all 75 gal of water and all corals,fish and whatever else was in the tank in the buckets and left enough water in the tank to keep the live sand submerged. Placed all in a pickup and moved. Took a total of 4 - 5 hrs for us to complete this task. And when it was all said and done, I never lost a thing
Dont let a possible move keep you from having a tank. Go for it !
:cheer: Regards, Chad24

goulding.c

Yeh, do it!! Moving tanks sucks but it is also kind of nice becaus eit gives you a great chance to change things around a redo stuff you normally wouldn't do unless you brook it all down. I have never moved mine. But, I did a stand swap on it. I can't beleave how much a 125 gal weighs with just the 4 inches of sand in it after all the rock and water was removed. But it was still possible. If it is a long move I suggest getting a good power converter for your vehicle. That way you can run all your heaters pumps skimmers what ever you need. They aren't to exspensive either. Some people get them just for power failures and run there tanks off there cars.
CG