Moving your tank a foot

salty tank

My tank isnt in the spot i want it. I wish i could move it a foot over to the left. This is because a table needs to fit on the right. I have a 65 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and 51 pounds of liverock. I need to do a 30% water change in a few weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think with three or more people we could slide the tank when i take out 30% of the water. (the tank is on a wooden floor)

oceanist

at home depot and lowes they have these thi8ngs called furniture sliders , people who install carpet use them , they are like discs , like a frisbee , they are platic on one side and rubber on the other so they stay under the furniture , if you can get a few people, to lift it just a tiny bit to put those uner , it wil slide with no problem , ive moved grand pianos with those

bwilson

I have moved a few tanks in my day here is what I do. Go to Home Depot and get some new trash cans. Drain the tank into the cans move your fish into the cans if posiable however if you have alot of rock just drain most of the way and leave a few inches in the tank. Then just move it and put your water back in.
Other Notes: If you get the cheep trach cans like I do wrap them in duct tape over and over this will help them from bowing and falling appart under the water presure. If you get a powerhead you can just pump the water back in otherwise you can use a buckett. Use a plate (Dinner Plate) place it on the sand then poor the water on to that it helps to not stirr everything up so much. Also everything will be very stressed out after so watch all your critters.
If you have a glass tank make sure when moving with water you dont stress it or you can break a seem.
Good Luck,
BW

krp

I just moved my 55gal across the room using the sliders that Oceanist mentioned. Mine are called moving men.
I drained about half of my water out into new trash cans. Lifted each end of the tank up enough to get the moving men under the stand. After that, the tank just glided across the room with little effort. Then just put the water back in. I took it slow and didn't even slosh the water back and forth. Took me a total of about 20 min.

jambi0n

like oceanist said use the sliders. thats what i have my tank on, but it's still a pain in the butt to move.

bwilson

Just a word of advice. If you use the gliders you might want to take them off after the move I have wood floors also and its a great deal of weight to have on (4) small feet. Might dammage the floor
BW

mikeyjer

Best thing to do is to get some trash cans and put all the water and live rocks within and move your tank. Put everything back in afterwards and it should be fine. Good luck!

scubadoo

DO not move that tank with water in it. You run the risk of a leak by weaking the seams or you could have total structure fialure.
JMO