Mr. Green Tank Diary (w/pics)

mr. green

Hey all,
First All, Thank you all for the help up to this point. I thought I would start a Tank Diary and monitor and show my progress. This is going to be a slow one since it will take me a while to get things built (stand, sump, canopy) and put it all together. Also want to make sure that my research and studies are 100% on Saltwater so I can avoid some major pit falls, so don't expect to see fish next week!!

mr. green

-48" Reto Tek T-5 6-54W Lights
-Typhoon III RO/DI Unit
-2 Ebo-Jager 250W heaters
-Eheim 1260 Pump
-Mag Float 350
-ETSS Deluxe Reef Devil Protien Skimmer w/ Pump
-Refractometer
-Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper 2 Controller w/ pH probe
That is all for now. Also, my stand is in the works and I will post some pics when I get them this week of the progress.

mr. green

Lights showed up today!!
6 54W Tek Retro T5. I hope I can design a canopy that will fit these and allow me to access the tank from the top. I have a few ideas that should work.

azfishgal

Congratulations! :cheer: And welcome to the saltwater world. It's fun AND addicting, so there goes your money! :hilarious Look forward to seeing your tank come together.

mr. green

Got some more stuff in today;
Reef Devil Skimmer
Refractometer
Mag Float
Reef Keeper 2 w/ pH probe
2 Ebo 250W Heaters
and last but not least, my Typhoon III RO/DI unit
Still waiting for my Eheim 1260 which is on backorder. Should have it next week.
I should have the stand build this weekend and ready for paint and stain. I am really pounding my head against the wall on this canopy.
I need to find a way to fit the lights, the ability to open it and access the tank, and still get the look I want.

mr. green

Sorry to bump this back up, but I am finally starting to finish my build. It has been hard with a 7 month old and my wife works 2 days a week (12 hrs. each). Also, I have been working in the yard and house, so time has been a premium. The stand is almost completed and will get some pics. Working on a canopy design this minute!!!!

mr. green

Well, been finally getting some time to work on the old tank. I have begun my sump construction with my custom cut acrylic. I messed up a little on the sizing and had to adjust a little from my original plans, but still it is going to work out OK. If you are ever going to do this, measure and measure again before you have the pieces cut.
Question, do you think this is enough room for the skimmer to work? The baffles are next to it, the next section is where the return pump, heaters, and pH probe will be, followed by the fuge area.
Let me know what you all think, will be putting it together with the Weld-On as soon as the needle tip applicators arrive.

azfishgal

I'm not good as to what order things should go, but I've seen people have them in all different orders and work out fine. One thing you want to make sure of is that you can take your skimmer out, for any cleaning and/or maintenance. You don't want to get the whole things put together and then have the skimmer break only to find out you can't get it out of your stand.
My stand is a little taller than a lot you will find in the lfs for that very reason.

mr. green

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I'm not good as to what order things should go, but I've seen people have them in all different orders and work out fine. One thing you want to make sure of is that you can take your skimmer out, for any cleaning and/or maintenance. You don't want to get the whole things put together and then have the skimmer break only to find out you can't get it out of your stand.
My stand is a little taller than a lot you will find in the lfs for that very reason.
I here ya, I made sure I build my stand tall enough (pics pending). I am 6ft 5in so I did not want to bend down my whole life to look into the tank. I added a few inches on the stand to give me plenty of room under it.
I must say I learned a lot by building your own. Now I just need to get this Canopy down to fit the Tek 6 bulb fixture, and we are set.