Mrsa

T

tizzo

yup, It's here. My four year old who stays home and doesn't even go to school.
At first it looked like a bug bite. Which is to be expected since our house is up against a conservation area with many bugs. Then it got bigger and bigger, so we thought it was a boil. But why in the world would a four year old have a boil? Then another popped up on her leg. And just as a third one was starting, we went to the doc and she's on triple antibiotics.
There are 5 of us in this house, should we start taking bets on how many of us will end up with it?
Anyone else have any experience with this God awful bacteria?
BTW, I titled this thread MRSA, but it lower cased on it's own.

bdhutier

Here's the CDC's MRSA page... you've probably already seen it, but just in case. Your best bet is probably near-OCD levels of hand washing for the near future. NO "hand sanitizer" gel stuff. It does not work. I have personally tested hand sanatizer gels on streak-plates using various bacteria, such as E. coli, S. aureus, S. pneumoniae, and others and they have never once been effective. Soap and water, people...
Also treating and bandaging the heck out of any cuts, scrapes, or other skin abbrasions. MRSA isn't necissarily dangerous, but it has been to some people.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa.html

oscardeuce

As a practicing Emergency Physician, we've seen this for years. Now in the general population or "community aquired".
Much of the resistance is due to the expectatings of patients over the last 20 years. You go and see the MD for a sore throat or a cough, and you expect antibiotics to get better. Now, the MD is stuck, do they meet your expectations and give the medication, or do they tell you it is most likely a viral infection and antibiotics will not work and give you nothing. Well, from the business standpoint, a missed expectation means the patient may just go down the street to another MD and get what they want. Dr x loses business to Dr Y. So, Dr X gives out antibiotics to keep his patienits "happy". Both sides are wrong, but for the "right reason".This has directly lead to the current rash of drug resistance.
Please, listen to your provider, viral infections do not require antibiotics in most cases. Yes, you can get a bacterial bronchitis on top of a viral bronchitis, but those are the exceptions. I put my trust in my mechanic to keep my car safe, not overcharge me and be honest, please do the same with your health care.
Yes, hand washing is the best, and Lysol can be your best friend.

T

tizzo

Well, I am definately not a fan of antibiotics. Matter of fact, everytime they are prescribed to me, I buy them, but never take them. And I never sheltered my kids from germs so to speak.
I do not have any of that hand sanitizer in the house, but it's good to know it doesn't work cause I did plan on buying it. But your right, OCD washing hands. I have been using an antibacterial handsoap though. And Mr. Clean disinfecting wipes have covered my house many times..

bdhutier

Couldn't agree more, oscardeuce. My father was a Physician who recently retired, but of course practices @ a free clinic for homeless & underserved... when it's a calling, it's a calling! I can attest that the "business-end" of health care is absolutely KILLING medicine and the M.D.s' ability to practice/treat. Dad joined up with an HMO way back in the '80s, and bailed on the contract after around 8mos. He couldn't handle the lack of patient care the HMO was trying to force him into. But, I digress...

al mc

Originally Posted by bdhutier
http:///forum/post/2481152
Couldn't agree more, oscardeuce. My father was a Physician who recently retired, but of course practices @ a free clinic for homeless & underserved... when it's a calling, it's a calling! I can attest that the "business-end" of health care is absolutely KILLING medicine and the M.D.s' ability to practice/treat. Dad joined up with an HMO way back in the '80s, and bailed on the contract after around 8mos. He couldn't handle the lack of patient care the HMO was trying to force him into. But, I digress...
If from the business end you also include having to practice 'defensive medicine', I totally agree. The scenario listed above where the first MD does not prescribe the antibiotic, but the second one does.....sure this type of practice leads to resistent strains of bacteria.....
But....if the patient did not get antibiotic from the first MD and got 'sicker', regardless of
whether the MD was correct in not prescribing the drug, you can bet there is going to be a lawsuit or at least the threat of one.
Crazy world

al mc

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2481258
What is MSRA??
Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus
Staph A is a bacteria and Methicillin was considered one of the drug of choice to treat it.
It represents a problem because Staph bacteria are present just about everywhere.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2481635
Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus
Staph A is a bacteria and Methicillin was considered one of the drug of choice to treat it.
It represents a problem because Staph bacteria are present just about everywhere.
Oh man, sorry to hear that Tizzo. Was this something that came about since the move, or is it just more prevelant here?

oscardeuce

Grouper,
The bacteria after years of exposure to antibiotics have become resistant to them. In other words, the antibiotics will not kill them. There are many species from Tuberculosis to MRSA. MRSA was confined to health care facilities, but has moved into the community at large.
I was trying to keep the defensive medicine out of it, cause that's a whole other can of worms driving up the cost of health care. You fall and crack your head, you come to the ER to see me. The literature and research says if youur exam is notmal and such then you have lest than a 1/100000 change of a serious intracranial injury. I send you home witout a CT as the current best evidence based medicine does not call for one. Later you develope a sub dural hematoma ( you happen to be the 1/100000). I get sued fro 20,000,000. In order to find that 1/100,000 hematoma I have to order 99,999 CT's and risk thyroid cancer from the radiation exposure.
Want to reform health care, and decrease costs? Listen to your doctor, take your meds, get rid of the lawyers.
Do doctors make mistakes? Yes, we are as human as you.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2481693
Oh man, sorry to hear that Tizzo. Was this something that came about since the move, or is it just more prevelant here?
Well both, I think. My idiot brother, who was living with me before I moved, points out what he thought were spider bites. This was right before we came down here. Then my daughter got the same bumps, and they are literal boils. BUT... a 4 year old shouldn't have boils. So of course I'm all over the net looking for info and a sight such as webmd says, "seek medical attention when... there is more than one" So I do, and the lady at the docs office looked at it and said MRSA. She said it's very common around here right now, so common, as a matter of fact that she's not even gonna do a blood test.
So, it happened before the move, but it's also here.
So far only one of 5 of us have it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...and washed.

T

tizzo

Oscardeuce, I have a question for you...
The public has been taught since elementary school that there is no cure for the common cold. And I understand that antibiotics will not work on viral. That being said, when I took my daughter in, I also checked in. Lemme explain why and you can explain why they did what they did... I figure I had a common cold, so I didn't want antibiotics, but my eyes were swollen, burning, and extremely itchy and running enough to make it look like I was crying. My head was hurting and they told me I has a sinus infection as well as an ear infection. So of course they gave me the antibiotics.
But I was "treating the symptoms" at home with tylenol, nyquil, and ibuprofen and nothing relieved the discomfort in my head and eyes. I WANTED pain killers or something of the like. Why wouldn't they prescribe 3 or 4 days of something to remove the obvious discomfort? My hubby had Panadeine in his travel bag, thank goodness, but why wouldn't the docs give me something to treat the symptoms more aggressively.
And just to avoid the obvious topic, I used to work in a hospital and I realize there are drug seekers, but you could tell by looking at me that my symptoms were real.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2482239
Well both, I think. My idiot brother, who was living with me before I moved, points out what he thought were spider bites. This was right before we came down here. Then my daughter got the same bumps, and they are literal boils. BUT... a 4 year old shouldn't have boils. So of course I'm all over the net looking for info and a sight such as webmd says, "seek medical attention when... there is more than one" So I do, and the lady at the docs office looked at it and said MRSA. She said it's very common around here right now, so common, as a matter of fact that she's not even gonna do a blood test.
So, it happened before the move, but it's also here.
So far only one of 5 of us have it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...and washed.

I have never heard of it. Just lucky I guess.

ice4ice

We just had an outbreak of it late last year (October - November 2007). 5 or 6 locally sent to hospitals. Treatable though.

T

tizzo

A very popular morning show in Charlotte, had one DJ's whos wife had it. He gave us day by day updates on her progress. Hers was very bad, she was near dying. But that was the first I ever heard of it. I believe she ended up OK though.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
http:///forum/post/2482325
We just had an outbreak of it late last year (October - November 2007). 5 or 6 locally sent to hospitals. Treatable though.
Where are you?

nyyankeees

One of my cousins contracted this while in the hospital having her baby. The spot started in the exact same spot where they had given her a shot(near her hip), that place must be real sterile
She had to go to her family doctor everyday to get the wound packed and was on antibiotics. She was very scared of spreading it to her newborn and other 2 children but no one else in the household ever got it and after a couple weeks she was fine. I hope everything turns out ok in your case.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by NYyankeees
http:///forum/post/2482575
One of my cousins contracted this while in the hospital having her baby. The spot started in the exact same spot where they had given her a shot(near her hip), that place must be real sterile
She had to go to her family doctor everyday to get the wound packed and was on antibiotics. She was very scared of spreading it to her newborn and other 2 children but no one else in the household ever got it and after a couple weeks she was fine. I hope everything turns out ok in your case.
Thanks for the info. I was kinda under the impression that since one person has it, were all doomed. Nice to know that's not always the case though. The doc said, "Yeah, we see this run through families all the time now." So I thought she meant we were all gonna get it.

bronco300

my college roommate got that once and the rest of us in the house had to go get tested for it...thankfully no one else got it....hopefully everything will go smooth and safely for you guys...keep us updated.