MSX200 skimmer making a lot of noise, why?

thang45

I have a problem with the MSX200 skimmer making a lot of noise which I could not figure it out. This unit came with the Sicce PSK-2500 pump, when using it with mesh wheel the noise level is acceptable, but as soon as I change it with the needle wheel the whole unit rattle and vibrate the house.
I returned the pump to the vendor and have asked them to test it, but they said nothing is wrong with my pump. So I decided to buy additional pump, but same results. Now I have two pumps that can be use only with the mesh wheel.
Can anyone please tell me what could cause this? I would like to use the needle wheel because I think it does better job than the mesh wheel.
Thank you

wangotango

I saw a lot of the same thing on another forum. Seems like some people turned the pump 90* and it went away...

jubbin2001

When I first had my MSX160 it did the same thing. I lightly blew into the air silencer and it went away. The impeller for some reason vibrates like crazy untill the air from the venturi is properly being pulled. I would try it and see what you come up with.
I actually really dislike the Sicce pump and was thinking about getting an Ocean Runner (Octopus's version) with the needlewheel to replace it. I have tried using different pinwheels (I have the reducer on mine which apparently allows pinwheels to be better than the meshed impeller) and all of them had to be sanded down to fit the pump (the volute cover won't close otherwise). I have restarting issues which apparently requires me to get a new impeller for $39.99, when I can get the Octopus pump for the same price, which from what I have heard and seen, is much more reliable and can still be mesh modded with ease.
My LFS isn't a fan either and still uses the Ocean Runner pumps (well the generic versions that Octopus used) on their skimmers (MSX = Octopus clone). Even when the Sicce pumps comes on the skimmers, he repalces them with the Ocean Runners and sells the pumps as stand alone pumps.
I dunno, take it for what it's worth and see what you come up with. This is just my experience so far. Good luck!!

thang45

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/3237320
I saw a lot of the same thing on another forum. Seems like some people turned the pump 90* and it went away...

I don't have a lot of room in my sump to do that. I will give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks

thang45

Originally Posted by jubbin2001
http:///forum/post/3237342
When I first had my MSX160 it did the same thing. I lightly blew into the air silencer and it went away. The impeller for some reason vibrates like crazy untill the air from the venturi is properly being pulled. I would try it and see what you come up with.
I actually really dislike the Sicce pump and was thinking about getting an Ocean Runner (Octopus's version) with the needlewheel to replace it. I have tried using different pinwheels (I have the reducer on mine which apparently allows pinwheels to be better than the meshed impeller) and all of them had to be sanded down to fit the pump (the volute cover won't close otherwise). I have restarting issues which apparently requires me to get a new impeller for $39.99, when I can get the Octopus pump for the same price, which from what I have heard and seen, is much more reliable and can still be mesh modded with ease.
My LFS isn't a fan either and still uses the Ocean Runner pumps (well the generic versions that Octopus used) on their skimmers (MSX = Octopus clone). Even when the Sicce pumps comes on the skimmers, he repalces them with the Ocean Runners and sells the pumps as stand alone pumps.
I dunno, take it for what it's worth and see what you come up with. This is just my experience so far. Good luck!!

I have never thought of the air trap. I think you have a great point. My return line from the tank is right beside the skimmer's pump. I will install the needle tomorrow. If the unit makes noise then I will try your method by taking the air.
I have two of these pumps, and I don’t really want to buy another.
I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks

moondog

Post your results please, I have the same skimmer, same pump, same problem, I have sent it back for the second time now. I get the same answer, it runs fine for weeks at their shop, I get it home, sounds good for a week or two, and then back to the loud rattling sound that will wake up the whole house.

thang45

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/3237675
Post your results please, I have the same skimmer, same pump, same problem, I have sent it back for the second time now. I get the same answer, it runs fine for weeks at their shop, I get it home, sounds good for a week or two, and then back to the loud rattling sound that will wake up the whole house.
I guess I'm not the only one who is having this issue. I have wasted many hours and a lot of money since day one for this skimmer. Sending it back twice for check up and buying additional pump. They told me the same thing, it runs fine at their shop. I think they are not being honest here.
I will try the needle after work and post my results.

moondog

I was warned about the sicce pump, I guess I should have done more research.
I am trying to get them to replace the pump altogether, we'll see what happens. The difference here is the fact that I cannot get the mesh wheel to even turn in my pump, but the needlewheel works for a while and then the noise starts. Currently, I am running a Mag 3.5, with some holes drilled in the impeler, this is not the best setup, but it is keeping my tank from completely crashing while my pump is being "serviced".

thang45

http:///forum/post/3237830
Just got a call, brand new pump is on the way. Hopefully this one is not so loud.

I hope everything will work out for you. I had to send my back too, and I waited for 10 days before getting it back. that's why I bought a spare.
I will install the pump now. will post update in an hour.

thang45

OK, I took out the pump and try to replace the mesh wheel to a needle wheel, but I'm unable to open it. So I use the spare pump instead.
I turn it on pump and it a bit louder than the current pump but the noise level is bearable.
The video will show you 2 pumps and if you turn on your speaker, you will hear the pump noise in action. I will post again once the pump gets louder.
Video One

thang45

After a few hours, the unit started to get louder.
But if I put my finger over the silencer and then let go the rattle noise stops. What’s up with that?
Video Two

moondog

Sounds like the same thing I was dealing with. As far as getting the impeller housing apart, you use the rubber coated handles from a pair of plyers, and turn the underside (gray) while holding the impeller housing, that should help you take that apart. There was someone on here that sent me a link with a video of how to take them apart, let me see if I can find that.

thang45

http:///forum/post/3238318
Sounds like the same thing I was dealing with. As far as getting the impeller housing apart, you use the rubber coated handles from a pair of plyers, and turn the underside (gray) while holding the impeller housing, that should help you take that apart. There was someone on here that sent me a link with a video of how to take them apart, let me see if I can find that.
Yes, using pliers will work. I think macro algae is what preventing me from opening it.
Update, someone told me to put the pump 90 degrees, and believe it or not, the pump is now silence. I will confirm again after work.