Multiple Powder Blues?

madison

By chance did any of you ever kept a school of PB's successfully?
I know that it's almost impossible to keep only 2...but I am seriously debating on keeping 5 or more...
Thanks in advance all!

dogstar

I dont think they school. I think they are territorial.
I saw a documentory on a reef and it showed a Powder Blue defending its spot as a school of a thousand Yellows and Black and Convicts grazed over it. That fish was evil.....

fedukeford

i would deff not put a school in the 300, but the 2500, DEFFINATLEY!!! that would beawsome if the dont fight

madison

I currently have 5 different tangs in the 300g...even though they are all different species...they are schoooooling! :happyfish :cheer:
Just wondering what's the difference if I had 5 PB's?
i would deff not put a school in the 300

ophiura

As a comparison, I worked on a 3500g reef when about a dozen purple tangs were put in and the beat the HECK out of each other, even in that size tank. With only 5 in a 2500g that might be one thing, but I suspect the 300 would be a bit cramped, personally.

madison

Really?! Wow! you mean these species actually swim around and look for each other? I know the Purple's and PB's are notoriously aggressive towards each other...but even in a 3500g?
I am going to revisit this idea if I do finally convience my girlfriend into that 2500g...lot's of begging ahead of me

I guess I should just save the picture on my desktop in the meantime
ophiura Thanks!

hagfish

I've heard some pretty intelligent people suggest that keeping a single PB in anything less than 500 gallons is difficult. That seems extreme to me. But I certainly wouldn't consider more than one for a 300. 2500, I'd try it though.

dogstar

IMO the problem with Powder Blues is that they are just not hardy enough for captivity. ' Most ' die due to various reasons regardless of tank size, mainly stress from collection, transport, ect.
Best and easiest tangs to keep in groups are Yellows IMO.