Multiple same species fish in a tank/breeding

anita

This may be a dumb question, but is it good to get 2 of the same species in a first tank? The only reason I ask is since you don't really know if you're getting a male or female...what if they breed? What would I do with the babies? They wouldn't all fit in my tank.
Anita

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Anita
This may be a dumb question, but is it good to get 2 of the same species in a first tank? The only reason I ask is since you don't really know if you're getting a male or female...what if they breed? What would I do with the babies? They wouldn't all fit in my tank.
Anita
Depends on your tank size, what type of fish. Most species of saltwater fish have not proven to breed in captivity yet! If your talking about clown fish, they have proven to breed in captivity and I was just reading about that last night. They suggest to take out all the eggs after they've been laid and place in a different tank until they've hatch and they require special feeds. Don't want to get into details, but there's lots of things that's involved. But I don't think you have to worry about your fish breeding right now since most won't breed in captivity yet. But if it does happen, something other then clowns, you should let us know. It would be a break through. Good Luck! :happyfish

anita

My tank size will be between 40g-50g. Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a clownfish. That's the problem, if I find eggs, I'd have to rush out to the store & get another tank, pumps, etc. I don't think I can have that many extra fish. Should I only get one clown fish? Or different species, will that help?
Anita

anita

So, basically it's innevitable,if I get 2 clownfish, because they could change their --- & mate? Like I said, I don't know what I'd do with the babies. This website also says they like being in groups, so could I get 2 different species of clowns...would that solve the problem?
Anita

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Some fish, including clownfish, will change sexes.
Your right!

Don't worry about the clowns laying eggs, once they mature, one would out grow the other and that would be the dominate female. The next largest one would be the male, that's if you have a group, but not in your tank size anyway, when the female dies they move up, that's when the largest male turns into female and next inline of the largest clown is a male. So basically if you only have two clowns, the larger one would be the female and the smaller one would be the male. :happyfish