Mushroom Balloon

dool101

One of my mushrooms decided to swell up into a big bubble, none of the others around it are affected. I did notice a large bristle worm right next to it, but wouldnt think it would have any affect on it.

fretfreak13

Following this, that's so wierd! Anyone have other ideas? You should post this in one of the coral boards, not the ID section. o_O

loopy101

not sure if this is the same thing or not but my brother has some hairy mushrooms that are about 7 inches diameter. and they close up looking like a large balloon looks simmiler to your pictures. but i cant tell from your picture if its balooned inside out or if its just closed up? i have seen some of my mushrooms do this to when a larger piece of food landed on it so i always assumed it was just how they put the food in its mouth? but like i said im not sure if this is the same thing

dool101

well it went down couple days later, and now can bairly tell it was even like that, there seems to be almost like a real small scar there, but the shroom is doing fine and haven't had any other problems. Still curious of what would have caused it tho.

jim2766

Like someone said earlier, I have a hairy mushroom that does that when it captures food like frozen brine. Maybe it caught something in the water and was chowing down.

t316

This has "everything" to do with the bristleworm next to it. They are not total enemies that will kill one another, but yes, the bristleworm has rubbed against the coral and royally pissed him off. He is scared at the moment and throwing up any/all defense mechanisms.
To do this test yourself, get a poker and prod at one of your other corals. They too will draw up for a day or two and retreat.