Mushroom coral

mylady

Hubby just brought home a blue mushroom. How do we attach it to a rock? Hubby said something about a toothpick? Also he said something about putting it in a bowl with a rock and hoping that the mushroom would attach itself to that rock. Well, I want it on the top of the seal rock so that the seal looks like its wearing a hat. Suggestions?

slice

Hubby is right. Put it in a glass or bowl with some rubble in the bottom an wait for it to attach to one of the pieces. Then glue the rubble with the attached 'shroom on your seal rock.
I recently went through this learning experience.

monsinour

Here is a before pic (before our tank)

I will update this once its in our tank. About how long do we need to wait before it attaches?

slice

I am just regurgitating mproctor's good words on this, I think the post said a week or 2.
I tried to glue directly to a small piece of rubble, but the shroom partially came off in a day or 2, what ended up was a "sorta" glass/rubble technique with a bit of superglue aid.
I will go straight to the rubble/glass technique from now on.

slice

then place the glass in the tank where the flow won't pull the shroom out, somewhere low in the tank, yea.
I just put mine in a back corner.

spanko

Or get some lace or netting put the shroom on top of the whatever lay the lace over it and not too tightly rubberband so it stays on. place in tank. wait a week or so. Viola!

flower

I watch to see where the shroom settles in my tank (lowest flow area)...then I add a bunch of rubble to the corner or spot and lay the shroom on it. In a few weeks it is attached.
I also try and NEVER buy a polyp but one that's already on a rock. It' a personal rule.
I love my blue mushrooms, I have had the mushroom covered rock for many years and now they are here and there and everywhere, but in my reef they just blended in with all the coralline, so I took the original mushroom rock and put it in the seahorse tank... they are awesome and very hearty, you will be happy with them.