Mushroom Corals

L

lucas alderson

Are mushroom corals really hard to keep?
Could you tell me on a scale of 1 - 10?
Thanks,
Alderson :eek: :) :eek:

kelly

Lucas Alderson,
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the easiest, they are a 1 if that. They are one of the easiest things to keep. If they are happy, they will even reproduce for you.
Welcome to the board, we hope you enjoy your time here. What kind of lighting do you have. If you are running regular flourescent lights, keep them between the middle and top of the tank.
Best of luck.

jacksonpt

Originally posted by TexasReefRat:
<STRONG>The only Mushrooms I know of are actually Anemonies, and they are very easy and do not require much care.</STRONG>
Mushrooms are very different than anemonies. Mushrooms are very easy to keep... very hardy (can survive almost anything) and will be happy under a reasonable amount NO lighting. Anemonies are very difficult to keep, and require very specific amoounts of light and current, and are very sensitive to water conditions.
[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: jacksonpt ]

Jackson,
Was quoting from "Practical guide to Corals" Written by Ed Puterbaugh and Eric Borneman when calling them anemonies. Genus Discosoma and Actinodiscus are the genera that compromise the Mushroom Anemonies. I tend to read too much, and could very well be quoting an incorrect text.

kelly

Lucas,
Most any flourescent lighting on your 29 gallon will support mushrooms. If you are sticking with flourescent lighting for a while try and find a triton bulb. If you are planning on upgrading your lighting, you can use power compacts, metal halides or VHO - very high output flourescent bulbs.

L

lucas alderson

I plan on using 50/50 flourescent light in my tank. Thanks everyone for all these really good replies and tips. :) :) :D :D

kelly

Lucas,
The mushrooms will do fine under 50/50 lighting. I have had many do well with this type of lighting.
I add Reef Solution about twice a week, and they seem to like it.