mushroom help

jbeck

interesting... post didnt show up!
Anyway here it is again!
My LR came with some really bright almost flourecent blue mushrooms on it. I have a 75g with 160w of URI NO lights.
Should the mushrooms be placed high or low? Also what are the names of this type? I have heard i can cut them up and they will propogate, is this easy to do? Will they spread on their own? How long does it take?
Also is it normal for them to close up sometimes?

frankl15207

Generally a lower light area with indirect current. However, mine are in the lower portion of a 75 with 440 watts of VHO over them and they open more when the lights are on, so I think you may be on the low end with only 160 watts. Even the ones that are under ledges have moved out more into a light area. They will close at night, but should open during the day. If they don't, then light is the problem. In time they will split themselves.

jbeck

I think mine have too much light as the larger ones tend to be folded over alot. Im going to move them when i rearange the rock this weekend.
I also found something a bit smaller then a dime. Green in the center with a mouth like a mushroom but has tentacles that are redish all around it like a "sun". Is this another type or something?

elcid

I place my mushrooms always on the bottom, they are pretty easy to take care of and they tend to propagate fairly quick.