mushroom ko'd in one day

P

pakman

i bought a shroom 2 days ago he seemed to be doing great. I put some brine shrimp in my tank to feed my fish, the shrimp have been in my fridge for 4 days so a few of them may have gone in the tank dead.
all of the sudden my shroom looks sucked in and lifelesss
from thriving to dying in 30 min is this normal
if he does not get healthy should i remove him? will he harm other inhabitants

katara

Do mushrooms even eat brine??
Mine never have when I feed my manadarin brine.I do make sure to use a brine net and then rinse the brine under the faucet for a couple of seconds, the water the brine is in will foul your tank especially after several days.If you don't have a brine net you can filter the brine w/a coffee filter.
I still seriously doubt that mushrooms eat brine,maybe someone who knows will settle this.

slim335

Mushroom corals Genus Actinodiscus do not eat brine shrimp. They are a "small" animals that get nutrients throgh uptake from the h20. Technically from the ciliary mucus transport of trapped particulate matter and from their zooxanthellae. They do have Nematocysts, or tenical like things that will grab larger prey like brine, however these are not well developed and are only able to capture the smallest of particulate matter. The cause of your mushrooms delcine can be based on the fact that mushrooms are billed as some of the hardiest of corals, but sometimes tend to have a hard time living. They do best in tanks with "Low" lighting and current owing the fact that naturally they are found lower and in sheltered or shaded parts of the reef. Also, the mushrooms are sometimes apt to just up and die. In tanks with identical h20 parameters and equal lighting a mushroom will thrive in one and die in the other. The causes for this are still not totally understood; however, it may be due partly to the fact that because of their "desire" to live in areas with lower light they may need to be feed more frequently. Food for thought.

katara

Thanks Slim335..
I was begining to wonder if I was neglecting my shrooms.Thanks again for your input.

katara

I'm in the San fernando Valley..Sherman Oaks..I often go out to Santa Barbara to a campground we belong to,it sure is beautiful out there:)

yetex

Mine did the same thing
its been opening up and fine since last thursday when i received it but today didn't even open up
I had it in a 10 gallon

small reef

I've had my mushrooms close up for a couple days at a time. They usually open back up though. I know some corals close up for a few days to perform a sort of cleaning process, so I would guess that is what happened with my mushrooms.