Mushroom Problems!!!

salty jeff

I just noticed this morning that some of my mushroom's edges are turning white. I tested the water and everything looks good. I use R/O water and change out 25% of my water with instant ocean every month. I stopped using additives a couple of months ago because I'm convenced that fresh salt with fresh water is all my reef needs.
Any suggestions or ideas would be very much help. Thanks

salty jeff

Its a couple of brown mushrooms on a rock covered with brown and purple mushrooms with white stripes. My ricodias are close by.

salty jeff

Thanks Kip,
I'll take a pic tonight. I don't think its anything major, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of sickness. I took your advise about additives a few months back. Your right , fresh salt and fresh R/O water is all a reef needs. My shrooms are really growing and covering everything. My spaghetti leather is 3x the size that I bought it. Its 11 inches tall.
I want to change my PCs to a 175 w MH but I'm scared it might upset my tank. I have a 42 hex. What do you think????

salty jeff

I'm not keeping anything else but I want to keep and grow some SPS frags. Yes I will keep running my actinics. Thanks for the light tips.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Salty Jeff
I'm not keeping anything else but I want to keep and grow some SPS frags. Yes I will keep running my actinics. Thanks for the light tips.

With the kinds of corals you're keeping, it may not be the best idea.
Originally posted by James A. Fox

Can I mix SPS with soft corals?

Certain soft corals (especially Discosoma and Actinodiscus) pack quite a punch (toxicity) and can easily overwhelm many (if not most) stony coral either through chemical warfare or direct physical contact. As an example, several leather coral (Sinularia spp. and Sarcophyton spp.) are believed to release chemical compounds (growth inhibitors?), which can affect surrounding coral (in particular certain Acropora spp. and Porites spp.) negatively._ Quoting from Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman under the topic Husbandry Considerations (page 112), "The obvious zonations that occur in the wild should be carefully considered, and it is in the coral keeper's interest to have soft corals and hard corals minimally intermixed, if at all."_ If one takes the proper precautions it can be done, but I don't recommend it.
Now, Mushrooms are easily able to multiply into mass numbers and easily take over a "forest of corals." They're also able to detach from whatever their attached to and drift around the tank. That's a perfect chance for the mushroom to land right on one of your SPS frags. Side by side mushrooms will almost always win.
I would be extremely cautious if you do decide to mix corals. You should be aware that these corals are not found together on the reefs, and may not be acustomed to "smells" given off by neighboring corals. In such a small tank, there's very little room to prevent any chemical or physical warfare.
Take Care,
Graham

salty jeff

Thanks Graham. I did not know this. Thats why I'm on this website. I learn something new everyday. I think I'll turn my other 42 hex into a SPS frag/reef.

salty jeff

Kip,
I run my hang-on Prizim 24/7 on high and use the charchol basket in it one week of the month. This along with the water changes I'm currently doing will this work? I respect what you say and I know your 50 is a mixed tank. I see you also don't have a toadstool and finger leather like I do. I was going to move some of my shrooms to my other 42 hex to make room if I go with some SPS frags. My finger leather and toadstool are doing so good I don't want to move them. Just wondering what you would do.