mushroom questions?????

playtime

I posted the question (mushroom on the moove) and i only got one responce. I would love to hear some more about how mushrooms spread so if anyone has had experiences with that I would love to hear about it.
Thanks
playtime

pudd'ntang

Mushrooms spread by sending small offshoots from the parent mushroom to nearby LR/LS. Mushrooms also move if the current is too high or the light source is too low. I hope I answered some questions. ;)

bubbatrev

I brought home a small rock with maybe three to four green blue metalic mushrooms on it (very cool color). My lfs told me to place them about half way up in my tank, and near (not directly in) one of my powerhead outflow. I was told if they were happy, they would grow in the diection the water was flowing. They were right I must have close to thirty now. I have never actualy watched them seperate/reproduce but they seem to be doing it well. they have taken over several lr next to them ( all down flow )btw for my 50 gallon I use VHO lights one four foot actinic white and one four foot super actinic. I add Calcium, Iodine, Strontium and Molybdenum almost daily. Hope some of this helps.

bubbatrev

Sorry, forgot to say, it has taken these mushrooms about six months to do all of this growing. I have found they are not the quickest. Be patient with them.

tangaroo

HI ALSO HAVE A MUSHROOM I PURCHASED ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO AND SINCE THEN IT DOESNT SEEM TO OPEN. WE ARE FEEDING IT CORAL-VITAL AND THAT SEEMS TO PROMOTE BROWN ALGE. I HAVE A 130 GAL TANK IT IS ABOUT 3 FEET DEEP HAVE ONLY THE MUSHROOM CORAL AND ABOUT 20 LBS OF LIVE ROCK. AM ONLY 6 MOS INTO THIS NEW HOBBY. AM USING CORLA LIFE 50/50 30 WATT 36 " LONG IS THIS ENOUGH OR THE RIGHT LIGHT???
YOU SAID YOU ADD CALCIUM, IODINE,STRONTIUM, MOLYBEDENUM DAILY, COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME MORE INFORMATION ON THE LIGHTS AND THE AMOUNTS OF THE ABOVE YOU ADD. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS.
THANK YOU.

maroon_clownfish

NO, a 50/50 ain't enough. Good Flourescents work very well, choose the highest Kelvin rating possible and buy one blue spectrum light to "feed" the corals and one white spectrum light, throw in two 50/50 lights too, this will be enough for the moment but try buying expensive high intense lights (MH) in the future, hope this helps :)

bobj

Tangaroo,
The algae may be a response to increased nutrients and poor lighting. The amount of light is too low for that sized tank.
If you are considering a reef tank than it might be advantageous to increase the amount of lr to 1-1.5 pounds per gal. Reef tanks do best with minimal nitrates and lr/ls can provide this. It is almost impossible to do this with external bio flilters.

jimi

Mine had spread by dividing and moving. Moving to one side or another and leaving some behind which then turns into a mushroom. Kind of like taking a step with muddy shoes and leaving mud behind. Another one divided itself at its base then blew across the tank starting another colony.