mushrooms/light

lexluethar

No, it is my understanding that nothing photosynthetic can survive under florencent lighting. I'm sure dark will chime in here....

sprieto

I thought it mattered on the amount of light more than anything?
I could have swarn I read flourescents are okay for "low to medium" light requiremnts (like soft corals?), if the watts was high enough?????

lexluethar

Watts do not matter, that is just an indication of how much power they are using, what you want to look at is the PAR value of the lights, and from what I understand STANDARD florecent lights have nearly no PAR value. I believe it will be inadequate from mushrooms.

sprieto

So what about "mini nano systems" like "Ecplise", "Oceanic Biocube", "Red Sea Max", and the "Nano Cubes", that claim to be reef ready with compact flourescents built it (some have upgraded lights, but not all, and many claim there flourescents can run mini reef tanks..........
Sorry, not meaning to be arrgumeantative, just trying to get at the truth.....

m0nk

Standard yellow fluorescent (what you typically find in freshwater hoods) is the wrong spectrum. Compact Fluorescent (PC) will have the spectrum and intensity you need for coral.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by sprieto
I thought it mattered on the amount of light more than anything?
I could have swarn I read flourescents are okay for "low to medium" light requiremnts (like soft corals?), if the watts was high enough?????

Color and temperature of your bulbs need to be at a certain level to maintain photosythesis. Lumens and Par in the bulb are what determines if it will sustain photosynthesis or not. You will want to look for a Full spectrum lamp for your fixture. If its available a 10k daylight and most likely at least one 420nm actinic. It is possible to use the set up you have if you put the apporpriate lamps in it. However the efficiency of NO flourescent lamps is not good. They produce the least amount of lumens per watt, they have little or no reflectors on them resulting in a lot of wasted light and energy. IMO.

sprieto

So the right type of flourescent light would work under cirtain circumstances?
So back to the original question, can mushrooms live under the "correct type" of flourescent lighting?

lexluethar

Yes, compact florecent will. I thought the original question was asking if florecent lights (the standard once that come in most every hood unless you buy a biocube) would work, and they won't. PC lights will work as long as you get the right amount - this would depend on gallons and depth of your tank.
Sorry if the original question was actual talking about PC's, most people when asking these type of questions are referring to standard lights that come in most freshwater hoods.